Harry Beadles was born in Llanllwchaiarn and had a distinguished military and footballing career. His full biography appears here, supplied by Harry's son Harold and his grand-daughter Marion.

Information kindly
supplied by Harry's son Harold
and his grand-daughter Marion.


George Harold Beadles was born on 28th September 1897 in Commercial Street, Newtown, Montgomeryshire. He was one of six boys and a girl, born to Thomas and Sarah Ann Beadles (nee Pearce).

Harry was 3 when the 1901 census was enumerated. He lived at Bell Court, Commercial Street, Newtown with his mother Sarah Ann Beadles 34 and siblings Thomas E. Beadles 15, a draper's assistant, David C. Beadles, 9, William E. Beadles 7, Richard E. Beadles 5 and Sarah E. Beadles 1. 

His father was a quarryman, often working away from home for long periods of time, on developments such as the Elan Dam in Mid-Wales.

George mostly known as "Harry" was educated at a local Board School, as his mother was keen her children should be educated, due to a lack of employment in the area.

However due to economic and social reasons, Harry was forced to leave school aged 12 years, where he became employed at Pryce Jones Welsh Warehouse, Newtown, as a furrier and hosier.
His elder brothers were also employed there, although sadly one of them Albert had been killed in 1900 age 12 years. He lost his life after being run over by a cart from Pryce Jones Warehouse in a parade, and the funeral was apparently paid for by Pryce Jones.

Pryce Jones Warehouse, showing the bridge adjoining  Agriculture House,
built in 1895

Harry played the cornet for the Newtown Silver Band in his youth, whilst also keenly playing local amateur football.


Private George Harold Beadles,
later Lance Corporal

Upon the outbreak of WW1 in August 1914. Harry along with two of his elder brothers Ewart and Ernie, enlisted immediately into the first regiment formed in Newtown, the 1st/7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers (later part of the 53rd Division). Whilst Ewart and Ernie were of age Harry was only 16 years old, yet must have felt a sense of duty to King and Country, along with a wish to enlist with his brothers. The authorities must also have turned a blind eye!

Harry, Ewart and Ernie Beadles 

Soldiers of the 7th Royal Welch Fusiliers march through Newtown as they prepare to leave the town
Harry's two eldest brothers Tom and Charlie were both Police Officers at the time and so unable to enlist, their job seen as critical to the Home Front. Tom appeared happy to remain in the Police, however Charlie was frustrated with the bureaucracy which prevented him from joining his brothers. He apparently became an "administrative nuisance", appearing on Police Parade, unshaven with dirty boots, tins of fruit in his uniform pockets etc. The Police apparently eventually dispensed with his services and he finally got his wish to en-list with the County Palatine Regiment, where he served in Cambrai, where he and others were gassed.

Harry was initially enlisted as a Bugle Boy whilst the regiment was under-going training courses in the UK.

However by August 1915 they had been to Gallipoli, landing at Suvla Bay on 9th August 1915.

Harry was now listed as a Rifleman and despite being underage, actively served on the front line.

British soldiers at Suvla Bay, August 1915

It was during this time Harry was awarded the Serbian Gold Medal for "Gallantry". He saved a Serbian Observer Officer who had been hit in no-mans land and unable to return to the line. During the rescue Harry's uniform cap and epilates were shot off, yet he miraculously remained un-injured, despite extreme heavy artillery fire. The officer took his name and number and apparently said "You will hear more about this lad". However as a young boy at the time, he didn't expect to hear anything again, and just continued with the war.

Montgomeryshire Express
March 7th 1916
Newtown streets in the days of yore used to frequently ring with the music of the Newtown Silver Band. The last time it was heard was when the men of the 7th (Royal Welch Fusiliers) went to Conway following a few days stay in the town after mobilisation and alas, a large number of the lads who then gaily marched to the station are no more.

Several Newtown band members were ordered to Gallipoli during the war.
They were H. Beadles, D. Clayton, J. E. Harper, G. Hibbott,
S. Humphreys, C. Lloyd, J. Leach, H. Morris, F. Moriis,
D. Morris, W. Pugh, W. Richards, W. Roberts, H. Stephens,
J. Turner and B. Nock.


Also during this time his elder brother Ernie was shot in the foot and sent back to the UK. Local press reports show letters from Ewart to his mother stating, "Ernie has been shot in the foot, but nothing serious don't worry. Also Harry is in hospital but will be okay soon".

Sadly Ernie died of his war wounds in 1918 probably due to blood poisoning. Ernie is buried in Llanllwchaiam cemetery, in the same grave as his 12 year old brother Albert and their mother. The grave is marked with an official Grey/blue Military Headstone for Ernie, with a ground stone in recognition of Albert. The grave is next to that of Harry's life long friend, Capt George Latham M.C..

The regiment suffered terrible casualties and extreme hot weather conditions, so bad both sides had an armistice for a day just to bury the dead, due to the flies and stench.
By December the weather was so cold, that many, including Harry,were suffering from frost-bite. Upon the eventual evacuation in December 1915, Harry was found floating and unconscious in the water due to frostbite and dehydration. He was fortunately spotted and pulled out of the water, and with a "stiff dose of whiskey", sent on a hospital ship to a Military hospital in Malta. Otherwise Harry could possibly have been the only casualty from the "successful evacuation!".

Upon recovery in Malta, Harry was immediately returned to his unit who were now in Palestine. He was involved in all three battles for Gaza and the push by General Allanby to capture Jerusalem. During the first battle, he along with others were cut-off behind enemy lines in the desert. Desperate for food/water they approached a Bedouin tribe who were fortunately friendly. They were looked after and returned to the nearest British Unit. They happened to be a Ghurkha Unit and lived with them for 2 weeks. Harry had nothing but praise for the way they were treated, plus the professionalism of the Ghurkha's as soldiers.

During the 2nd Battle for Gaza, Harry's brother Ewart was awarded the Military Medal and promoted to Sergeant. However sadly during the same battle, Harry's Uncle Dick (Richard Pearce) was fatally shot in the head whilst next to Harry in action. Ironically he had just told Harry to "keep your head down lad" and Harry had to continue with the line despite suffering this trauma.

When the war finally ended, Harry's regiment was left in Palestine until mid 1919. The Forces organised Football competitions between the various Battalions, where Harry shone as a player. He soon came under the influence of a fellow Newtonian, Captain George Latham M.C, and the 7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers won the British Forces (Egypt) Football League Cup Final in 1919.

7th Batallion Royal Welch Fusiliers
British Forces Champions 1919 
George Latham is seated front row 3rd left and
Harry Beadles 2nd right with dog in Egypt

This experience with George Latham proved a significant factor to Harry's future football career, plus it was the beginning of a life long friendship



Harry returned to his native Newtown after the war, and played for Newtown F.C in 1919.


21st October 1919
The paper reported that Newtown beat Llanfyllin 8v0 in the second preliminary round of the Welsh Amateur Cup. The report did not disclose any of the scorers' names, but the teams were;
Newtown; P. Townsend; H. Edwards, R. Sparey; P. Humphreys, E. Jones, W.E. Owen; S. Lumsden, B. Evans, W.Finney, H. Beadles, G. Davies.
Llanfyllin; J.E. Jones; A. Wilson, W.W. Roberts; R. Evans, R. Thomas, D.E. Evans; D.C. Jones, T.H. Jones, W.M. Evans, H. Shimmin, R. Griffiths.
Attendance; 800
4th November 1919
Newtown beat Machynlleth 8v0. Beadles draws first blood after 25 minutes (2), with Bert Evans and George Davies also scoring
11th November 1919
Newtown beat Aberystwyth College 4v1 in a league match. The report stated that Beadles added a second afterwards, it was a fine individual effort. Beadles later placed his side in a secure position, making it 4v1.
Attendance; 900
9th December 1919
Newtown beat Machynlleth 7v0 with Beadles scoring a hat trick. Finney and Lumsden also scored

3rd January 1920
Beadles played in the game against Llanidloes 

13th January 1920
Beadles scored in 4v1 Newtown victory against Aberystwyth 

27th January 1920
Newtown 8v0 Caersws. Beadles nets a hat-trick.

Final League placings in  the
Montgomeryshire and District League
for 1919/20
1 Newtown, 2 Llanidloes, 3 Aberystwyth Town,
4 UCW Aberystwyth, 5 Machynlleth, 6 Tywyn  

Harry soon moved to Merseyside, playing for the amateur side Grayson's of Garston in Liverpool, a well-known local shipping company.


Harry second right with Danny Shone.
Danny signed for Liverpool at the same time as Harry
and appears on the photo of Liverpool below.

Harry was officially employed by the firm, yet was unsure what his job was, clocking on/off each day and being paid. Apart from making the tea, it appeared they were more interested in his footballing skills.

However in June 1921 he and fellow player Danny Shone were signed by Liverpool FC. Harry signed as a professional with Liverpool and started well, scoring 6 goals in his first 11 appearances for the club. He was a member of the squad who won the League Championship twice and travelled extensively with the team. However he was not regularly chosen for the first team, as the board seemed to favour other more high profile players.


1921/22 League Champions
Harry Beadles, top left, F.Wood, J. Lillie, G. Owen, J. Kane
Third row; H. Riley (Groundsman), R. Forshaw, H. Chambers, Danny Shone, T. Lucas, W. Lcey, F. Checkland, H. Wadsworth,
R. Johnson, H. Lewis, F. Mitchell, F. Hopkin

C. Gillespy, F. Parry, J. Bamber, P. McKinney, W. Cunningham,
E. Scott, T. Bromilow, C. Harrington, J. McNabb, W. Matthews,
W. Wadsworth, W. Constantin (Asst groundsman)
C. Wilson (Player's Coach), W. Connell (Trainer)

G. S Patterson (Secretary), D. G. Ashworth (Manager), M. McQueen (Director), I. J. Hill (Director), R. L. Martindale (Director)
W. R. Williams (Chairman), J. Asbury (Vice Chairman),
E.A. Bainbridge (Director), T. Crompton (Director)
W.H. Cartwright (Director) W.H. Webb (Director)

Harry was signed from Grayson's of Garston in June 1921.
He appeared for the first team 18 times
(17 League and 1 Charity Shield appearance) scoring 6 goals

 Harry's Liverpool debut was against Chelsea

G. H Beadles Liverpool F.C (1921-1924)
Harry's Appearances 1921/22 season
(Reds Third Title)

Sept 24, 1921, Chelsea 0 Liverpool 1.

(home kit

(away kit

Goals: Matthews 15.
"Liverpool who were giving a trial to Welshman Harry Beadles in place of the injured Chambers, set a brisk pace and Beadles soon got into his stride, hitting the woodwork with a rising shot".
**Harry's Debut Game**

Oct 1, 1921, Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1
Goals: Forshaw 4. Hoddinott 43

(home kit

(away kit

Scott, Longworth, Parry, Checkland, Wadsworth, Bromilow, Lacey, Forshaw, Matthews, Beadles, Hopkin

Oct 8, 1921, Preston North-end 1 Liverpool 1
Goals: Rawlings (pen) 85 Beadles 5
**Harry's 1st goal for Liverpool**
"Roberts was dangerous in the opening stages but then Liverpool mounted an attack on the right and Checkland ,
after a neat passing movement with Forshaw, slipped the ball through to Beadles, who scored with a low shot".
"Lucas was undeniably the best player on the field and
Beadles had a fine game at centre-forward, but the loss
of a point saw the Reds slip to fifth place".

Oct 15, 1921, Liverpool 4 Preston North-End 0
Goals: Chambers 53, Forshaw 57
Lucas (pen) 60, Beadles 65
"The fourth goal was headed in by Beadles,
from a centre by Hopkins".

Oct 22, 1921, Tottenham Hotspur 0 Liverpool 1
Goals: Beadles 65
"Forshaw hit the crossbar with a tremendous volley. The ball rebounded into play and Beadles managed to head it into the net, just out of Hunter's reach".

Dec 31, 1921, Bradford City 0 Liverpool 0
"The Reds set the pace and there were several brilliant efforts on the part of Hopkin to give his side the lead. His centres, however went begging and the chief culprit was Beadles, although on some occasions he might have beaten a worse goalkeeper than Wilkinson".

Mar 4, 1922, Blackburn Rovers 0 Liverpool 0
"In the second half, Beadles found the back of the net but was ruled offside".

Mar 18, 1922, Liverpool 0 Bolton Wanderers 2
Goals: Jack 15, Smith(pen)

Beadles Liverpool Appearance.  
County Times 25th March 1922
Harry Beadles of Newtown played centre forward for Liverpool on Saturday against Bolton Wanderers, when the latter won 2v0.
During the match he was incapacitated and had to go to the outside right berth.

Apr 22, 1922, Cardiff City 2 Liverpool 0
Goals: Gill 1, Len Davies 5

Apr 29, 1922, Liverpool 1 West Bromwich Albion 2
Goals: Beadles 7 Gregory 48, 87

May 6, 1922, West Brom A 1 Liverpool 4
Goals: Davies 39 Forshaw 7, Beadles (2), McNab 41
"Liverpool dominated the game . Beadles scored with a splendid shot and then he added a third goal".

First Division Table

1  Liverpool  57 

2  Tottenham Hotspur  51   
3  Burnley  49   
4  Cardiff City  48   
5  Aston Villa  47   
6  Bolton Wanderers  47   
7  Newcastle United  46   
8  Middlesbrough  46   
9  Chelsea  46   
10  Manchester City  45   
11  Sheffield United  40   
12  Sunderland  40   
13  West Bromwich Albion  40   
14  Huddersfield Town  39  
15  Blackburn Rovers  38   
16  Preston North End  38  
17  Arsenal  37  
18  Birmingham  37  
19  Oldham Athletic  37   
20  Everton  36   
21  Bradford City  32   
22  Manchester United  28 

Liverpool 1921 / 22
Delighted to receive the following message from Jeff Gaydish. KD

Hello, I am a Liverpool FC supporter from the USA. I was advised about your site by another Liverpool FC fan.  

I was delighted to read so much about Harry Beadles, since I have a particular interest in Liverpool FC history in the period after World War One.

I have an autographed cutting including Harry Beadles's signature.

I'm delighted to become acquainted with you. 
I look forward to further exploring your website. 


Liverpool F.C.

Reproduced here
by kind permission of
Jeff Gaydish

Twelve of the fourteen signatures on my autograph cutting are Liverpool players. The other two are W[illiam] Connell (trainer) and D[avid] Ashworth (Manager).

If you can help Jeff with his interest in Liverpool
FC during the period after World War One,
he can be contacted via;



May 10, 1922, Charity Shield
at Old Trafford

Liverpool  (0) 0 v 1 (0) Huddersfield 

The Charity Shield match was between the 1921/22 Football League champions, Liverpool, and the FA Cup winners of 1921/22, Huddersfield Town.
The match was,  for the last time, played at the end of the season in which they won their honours.
For the first time both competing clubs were from the north and so the venue moved out of London for the first time.

Huddersfield Town
F.A. Cup Winners 1921/22

Huddersfield Town: A Mutch, J Wood,
S Wadsworth, C Slade, T Wilson,
W Watson, G Richardson, F Mann, E Islip,
C Stephenson, W Smith.

Liverpool: E Scott, E Longworth, D McKinlay,
J McNab, W Wadsworth, T Bromilow,
W Lacey,
R Forshaw, H Chambers, G Beadles, F Hopkin.

Harry had 11 appearances scoring 6 goals, in 1921/22 season.

 Liverpool F.C.
Harry is at the top rear
The charabanc has a note above the duckboards giving a
maximum speed of 12 mph.

Harry's appearances 1922-23 season
(Reds consecutive Championships)

Harry is 4th from the left, back row.

Sept 2, 1922, Arsenal 1 Liverpool 0
Goals: Hutchins (pen)
"Heavy rain made playing surface slippery. Liverpool were forced to make one change, Beadles replacing Hopkins, who had a heavy cold".

Oct 21, 1922, Liverpool 3 Cardiff City 0
Goals: Githespy 60, Forshaw 65,
Wadsworth 80
" The Reds made two changes from the previous week's game. Tommy Gilhespy playing for the injured Lacey, whilst Beadles deputized for Chambers, who that day scored both goals for England in their 2-0 win against Ireland at West Bromwich".

Feb 17, 1923, Liverpool 3 Blackburn Rovers 0
Goals: Forshaw 5,37,70

Apr 14, 1923, Huddersfield T 0 Liverpool 0 

First Division Table

1  Liverpool  60

2  Sunderland  54   
3  Huddersfield Town  53   
4  Newcastle United  48   
5  Everton  47   
6  Aston Villa  46   
7  West Bromwich Albion  45  
8  Manchester City  45   
9  Cardiff City  43   
10  Sheffield United  42   
11  Arsenal  42   
12  Tottenham Hotspur  41   
13  Bolton Wanderers  40    
14  Blackburn Rovers  40   
15  Burnley  38   
16  Preston North End  37   
17  Birmingham  37   
18  Middlesbrough  36   
19  Chelsea  36   
20  Nottingham Forest  34   
21  Stoke City  30   
22  Oldham Athletic  30 

Photo courtesy of John English
A rare photo of Harry Beadles in his Liverpool kit, at Anfield, with the League Championship Trophy in 1922/23.
He is second from the right of the bottom row, with his left hand on the trophy. Danny Shone is believed to be to the left of Harry, with his right hand on the trophy.

Harry's appearances 1923-24 season

29 Sept 1923, Liverpool 1 Burnley 0
Goals: Forshaw
20 October 1923, Liverpool 4 Nottingham Forest 2

Harry was a member of the squad who won the League Championship twice and travelled extensively with the club.
However he was mostly over-looked by the board (who choose the team in those days), in favour of other more high profile players.
He also became disillusioned that he was not made available to play for his country Wales, whilst providing cover for others.
Harry left Liverpool in 1924 to join Cardiff City.
Here he joined his friend and mentor George Latham
who was the Cardiff City trainer.
Harry subsequently played for Wales twice in 1925, but remained a Liverpool fan for the rest of his life.

He also became frustrated he was not released to play for Wales, having to cover for other players who were able to play for England. After playing only 18 times for the first team despite his initial good scoring record, in 1924 he had the opportunity to sign for Cardiff City, where his life long friend George Latham was now trainer. However Harry remained a Liverpool fan for the rest of his life.

In 1924 he moved to Cardiff City where he enjoyed a very happy time. He was not only with his friend and mentor, but also finally capped twice for Wales in 1925.


Harry won
2 Welsh International Caps
in 1925.
v Scotland
(lost 1v3 at Edinburgh
14th February 1925) 
v  England
(lost 1v2 at Swansea
28th February 1925).



William Harper
James Nelson
William McStay
Davie Meiklejohn
David Morris
Robert Bennie
Alex Johnson
James Dunn
Hughie Gallagher
Thomas Cairns
Alan Morton
Albert Gray
John Jenkins
Moses Russell
Stanley Davies
Fred Keenor
Wm Williams
William Davies
John Nicholls
Len Davies
Harry Beadles
Fred Cook

Bert Gray
Ernie Morley
Moses Russell
Eddie Jenkins
Fred Keenor
Edgar Thomas
Willie Davies
John Nicholls
Jack Fowler
Harry Beadles
Fred Cook
Dick Pym
Bill Ashurst
Alf G. Bower
Jack Hill
Charlie Spencer
Len Graham
Bob Kelly
Frank Roberts
Tommy Cook
Billy Walker
Arthur Dorrell

He also played at Wembley in the 1925 FA Cup Final where Cardiff City played Sheffield United.


The County Times
25th April 1925
The Cardiff City team is making great preparations for its appearance in the F.A. Cup Final. It is interesting to note that in the Cardiff City team provisionally selected for the match there are seven internationals; if necessary, of course, Cardiff City could field a team composed entirely of internationals.
There are two local players in the team, Beadles (Newtown) and J. Evans (Bala) and both are receiving praise of the critics. The 'Athletic News' in a survey of the Cardiff team says; "Nicholson at centre will be asked again to bustle the backs in the manner that brought pain to Blackburn - a policy aided by Beadles
But the Newtown forward has also hit a happy understanding with the veteran of the team, John Evans, outside left, the first professional signed on by Cardiff City and a lithe wing forward with an accurate centre and an eye on the main chance". 




11th First Division

14th First Division


H 1v0 Fulham 

H 3v1 The Wednesday


A 2v0 Notts County

H 1v0 Everton


H 2v1 Leicester City 

H 2v0 West Bromwich Albion


3v1 Blackburn Rovers 

2v0 Southampton

29th April 1925

0 v 1

Tom Farquharson
James Nelson
Jimmy Blair
Harry Wake
Fred Keenor (C)
Billy Hardy
Willie Davies
Jimmy Gill
Joe Nicholson
Harry Beadles
Jack Evans

Charles Sutcliffe
Bill Cook
Ernest Milton
Harry Pantling
Seth King
George Green
Dave Mercer
Tommy Boyle
Harry Johnson
Billy Gillespie (C)
Fred Tunstall

Sheffield United
F.A. Cup Final team


The County Times
2nd May 1925
Large numbers of local football followers were at the Empire Stadium, Wembley, on Saturday, to see the F.A. Cup Final between Cardiff City and Sheffield United. It is estimated that out of the total crowd of over 90,000 spectators, 30,000 were from Wales. Although beaten 1v0, the Cardiff team retains its hold as one of the dominant figures in the football world. The Cardiff Team was given a civic reception on its return home on Monday.
"None more disappointed and none more worthy of success after the Wembley duel than was Captain George Latham, trainer of the Cardiff City Club" states the 'Athletic News'.
Captain Latham is a native of Newtown. As a player he assisted Liverpool, Southport Central and Stoke. He was capped for Wales 1905-6-7-8-9- 10-13. His last game for Wales on January 18, 1913, was a curious experience, for, after travelling with the team to meet Ireland at Belfast as trainer, he was pessed into service at right half back - and Wales won by a single goal. He joined Cardiff City in 1910-11. and there is no more painstaking football coach". 

Great interest will be taken in the announcement that the Cardiff City team, finalists in the F.A. Cup competition, is visiting Newtown on Monday week to play a match against Montgomeryshire, in aid of the Montgomery County Infirmary.
The Cardiff City team will be the same that played at Wembley in the English Cup Final. The team leaves for Ireland on Monday, and will there play three matches. They will go to Chester a week today and remain there over the weekend, coming to Newtown on Monday for the match.
The match will be included in the team's tour, arranged for by the directors, who will meet all the expenses connected with the visit. As is well known, Captain George Latham, M.C., trainer of the Cardiff City team is a Newtown man, and Beadles, one of the forwards is also a native of the same town.

Cardiff City F.C. 1924/25
Harry Beadles seated third from the right.
George Latham at rear, left.

16th May 1925

Montgomery County Infirmary.

In accordance with what has now become a yearly custom, the Cardiff City first league team visited Newtown on Monday for the purpose of playing an exhibition football match for the benefit of the Montgomery County Infirmary. The attendance was larger than that of last year and £120 was raised.
At the express wish of the visiting team their opponents were selected from among the local teams of the county.

Len Davies

Hugh Lumley (Machynlleth)
Percy Davies (Welshpool)
H. Roberts (Llanidloes)
E. Evans (Llanidloes)
J. Lloyd (Llanidloes)
Archie Jones (Newtown)
J. Mason (Llanidloes)
W. Parry (Newtown)
H. Crisp (Llanidloes)
T. Crisp (Llanidloes)
H. Townsend (Newtown)

John Lloyd, the captain for Montgomeryshire, won the toss and the game started quietly. Townsend and Mason made excellent attempts at scoring. The City men constantly worked the ball skilfully towards their goal, and Lumley was tested  with a beautiful drive by Nicholson and later by Beadles.
The score was opened by Montgomeryshire when Wilfred Parry sent a cross in for T. Crisp to neatly head into the net, to the accompaniment  of a good deal of enthusiasm in the crowd.
At the other end, Evan Evans scraped the ball away from danger at the expense of a corner when Beadles was making his way in a businesslike manner towards the goal.
Montgomeryshire led 1v0 at half time.
Cardiff's first goal came from a header following a corner.
Within a few minutes, Beadles added  a second beautiful goal. But the best goal of the match was the equaliser and the last of the match. Harold Townsend cleverly got possession of the ball, and sent across to Crisp, who shot without loss of time, and made the scores level. Lumley was again tested on a few occasions, but his vigilance did not desert him, and the Montgomeryshire team retired with an equal share of the glory.
Mr T Beaumaont ably kept control, and Messers E.R. Morris and George Owen, Newtown, acted as linesmen. 

After the match, the two treeams were entertained to dinner at The Bear Hotel, Dr Shearer, chairman of the Infirmary Board, presided, and he extended to the players the thanks of the Board for their kindness, and also to the directors.
Mr G. W. Norton seconded the vote of thanks ehich was responded to by councillor Parker, Mr Stewart, Mr Blair, the captain of the team and Captain George Latham, on behalf of the Cardiff team, and by Mr Hugh Lumley, on behalf of the Montgomeryshire team.
Mr Blair submitted the health of Captain Latham, and it was drunk with enthusiasm.

In the evening a dance was held at the Drill Hall and it was attended by over 300 people. Excellent music was supplied by the Dixie Jazz Band under  Mr W. F. Cooke and Messers George Owen  and W. P Andrews were M.C.'s. Mrs Bennet, Broad Street was in charge of refreshments. Twenty four tables of whist were made up and Messers Pryce Wilson and E.R. Morris were in charge.

Billy Davies with Harry on back of his motorbike.

 Fred Keenor is also on the photo of Harry and dogs, 
when at Cardiff City.

Harry made many good friends at Cardiff City,
including Len and Billy Davies.

George Latham, Harry, Len Davies wives and friends at Devil's Bridge

Harry bottom right at Newtown
with The Montgomeryshire Cup.

However by late 1925 the Cardiff City board were looking at raising money due to the recession. They decided to sell players who they thought were of some value. As a result Harry was reluctantly sold to Sheffield Wednesday although he never actually appeared for them.


Harry signed for
Sheffield Wednesday

but never actually appeared for the 1st team, although he played for the reserves several times.

In 1926 the Board of Directors for Southport FC were looking to strengthen their team, and decided Harry was their man to achieve this. He was signed as Captain and proved an inspiration to all players, with a fantastic goal scoring record. He scored a total of 66 goals in 102 appearances, a record which stood for many years and he was very happy there.


Southport colours
1926 -27

Harry Beadles
signed for Southport on the 28th August 1926

Southport colours
1928 - 31

28-Aug A LINCOLN CITY Lge D 1-1  Beadles
04-Sep H ACCRINGTON STANLEY Lge W 2-1  Beadles, Bellis
11-Sep A DURHAM CITY Lge L 2-4 Sapsford, Beadles
09-Oct H STOCKPORT COUNTY Lge D 2-2  Beadles. Parker
23-Oct H WREXHAM Lge W 6-0 Sapsford 4 Beadles 2
30-Oct A DONCASTER ROVERS Lge L 1-3  Beadles
02-Dec A TRANMERE ROVERS FAC1R W 2-1  Beadles, Jones
04-Dec H NELSON Lge L 3-4  Bradley 2, White
08-Jan H BLACKBURN ROVERS FAC3 W 2-0  White, Beadles
05-Mar H NEW BRIGHTON Lge W 7-2  Marshall 3 Beadles 3 Sapsford
19-Mar H DONCASTER ROVERS Lge W 2-0  Beadles, GW Jones
15-Apr H BARROW Lge W 3-0  Bellis, Marshall, Beadles
16-Apr H WALSALL Lge W 6-1 Newnes(pen) Sapsford, Beadles3, Marshall
18-Apr A BARROW Lge W 4-1  og, Beadles, Marshall 2  
23-Apr A NELSON Lge W 2-1  Beadles 2
03-May H DURHAM CITY Lge L 4-6 Beadles, Sinclair, Jones


Harry with Herbie Evans of Tranmere Rovers in 1926.
Herbie played for Cardiff Corinthians before signing for
Cardiff City in 1920. 
Harry and Herbie were old friends having played at
Cardiff City together

He earned six Welsh International Caps
Herbie signed for Tranmere in 1926. His career was terminated the following year as a result of a broken leg. He also played cricket for Glamorgan

03-Sep H STOCKPORT CO. W4-0Worrall(pen) Sinclair, Beadles, Jones
05-Sep A BRADFORD L 3-5  Beadles, James
08-Oct A DARLINGTON L 1-3 Beadles
12-Nov A HARTLEPOOL L 1-2  Beadles
19-Nov H LINCOLN CITY W 3-1 Tait 2, Beadles
03-Dec H BRADFORD CITY W 5-1  Beadles 2, Marshall, Tait, Laws
17-Dec H CREWE ALEX W 3-2  Marshall 2, Beadles
24-Dec A ASHINGTON W 3-1 Tait 2, Beadles
26-Dec H WREXHAM W 4-1  Laws 2, Beadles, Marshall
07-Jan A STOCKPORT COUNTY L 3-6  Beadles, Tait, Worrall(pen)
25-Feb H DURHAM CITY W 3-1  Hamilton, Beadles, Martin
03-Mar A ACCRINGTON STANLEY L 1-4  Beadles
10-Mar H WIGAN BOROUGH W 2-1 Beadles, Marshall
17-Mar A DONCASTER ROVERS W 1-0  Beadles
06-Apr H CHESTERFIELD W 2-1  og, Beadles 
07-Apr H HALIFAX TOWN W 3-1  Beadles 2, James
21-Apr H NEW BRIGHTON W 4-2  Beadles, Hamilton, Robinson 2
28-Apr A CREWE ALEX W 1-0  Beadles
05-May H ASHINGTON D 3-3 Laws, Beadles 2


Southport 1927/28
Harry Beadles seated second from left

25-Aug H ASHINGTON W 2-1  Beadles, Rawlings
13-Sep A CARLISLE UNITED L 2-4  Beadles, Taylor
15-Sep A DARLINGTON L 1-3 Beadles
29-Sep H ROCHDALE D 1-1  Beadles
06-Oct A NEW BRIGHTON L 1-3  Beadles
13-Oct H WREXHAM L 1-3 Beadles
27-Oct H CREWE ALEX W 6-2  Beadles 2 Mundy 2 Sinclair 2
10-Nov H STOCKPORT COUNTY D 1-1  Beadles
24-Nov A ANNFIELD PLAIN(FAC1) W 4-1 Beadles(2) Mundy, Sissons
22-Dec H CARLISLE UNITED W 4-3 Beadles 2, Rimmer, Taylor
29-Dec A ASHINGTON W 3-1  Beadles 3
05-Jan H SOUTH SHIELDS W 5-0  Beadles, Robinson, Valentine 3

FA Cup appearances scoring 4 goals.

F.A Cup 1926/27
Nov 27 1926, Southport 1 Tranmere Rovers 1
Goals: Sapsford
Dec 2, 1926, Tranmere Rovers 1 Southport 2
Goals: Beadles Jones
Dec 11, 1926 Southport 2 Crook Town 0
Goals: Bradley 2
Jan 8, 1927 Southport 2 Blackburn Rovers 0
Goals: White, Beadles

F.A Cup 1927/28
Nov 26, 1927 Denaby United 2 Southport 3
Goals: Tait 2, Marshall
Dec 10, 1927 Bradford 0 Southport 0
Goals: Marshall, Tait
Jan 14 1928 Southport 3 Fulham 0
Goals: Horler(og) Tait 2
Jan 28 1928 Southport 0 Middlesborough 3

F.A Cup 1928/1929
Nov 24, 1928 Annfield Plain 1 Southport 4
Goals: Beadles 2, Muddy, Sissons
Dec 8, 1928 Stockport County 3 Southport 0

Harry Beadles played 92 games for Southport, scoring 61 goals.
He left Southport on the 27th April 1929 

However after 3 seasons an old injury to his right knee finally became more problematic, which eventually curtailed his career.

In 1929 he moved to Dundalk FC, Ireland as player/coach.


Dundalk F.C.
Harry Beadles front, third right.

Harry Beadles, player and Coach, Dundalk F.C.

However his family didn't settle and he subsequently called it a day and returned to Merseyside.



Harry became a prison officer at the famous Walton Jail for a time, one of his more famous in-mates being the "Man from the Pru", George Wallis. However he wasn't really happy there and having also ran a sports out-fitters in the area for a while, he was recruited by Bents Brewery.
They were looking for high profile, ex-footballers to front their business. Harry became a trainee manager at The York Hotel in Townsend Lane before getting his first pub, The Shakespeare in White Chapel. He subsequently moved to the Cattle Market Inn, Prescott Road, Stanley, where he impressed the brewery and customers with his easy going attitude and sense of humour. Final orders were typically called as "Time gentlemen please, and Evertonian's" which always got a good friendly scouse jeer.

When the brewery's Flagship hotel The Hillside, Huyton, Liverpool, was opened in 1939, they wanted a proven licensee to run it. Harry was their choice and he enjoyed many happy years there with his family. However 1939 was also a sad year with the death of his close friend George Latham. Harry was a bearer at his life-long friend and mentors funeral in Newtown, Montgomeryshire.
The Hillside however proved extremely popular and became the un-official Officers Mess during the Second World War, for the many Americans based at the nearby air base, Burtonwood near Warrington.

However by the late 1940's, Harry's health had declined, and he was unable to cope with the pressure of running such a big, busy hotel. He was given a smaller pub The Canon, near Anfield by the brewery, who were keen to retain his services. Here he was close to Liverpool's ground and enjoyed the banter with the customers, both Liverpool and Everton fans.

He was also able to attend some matches at Anfield, yet never sought nor expected any privileges, queuing up and paying to stand on the Kop alongside all other supporters. Many still recognised him and asked his opinions about the current match, team etc.

Harry with George Latham 
However Harry's health declined further in the early 1950's and he was forced to take early retirement. He moved back to Wales where after several years suffering from a long illness, he died in Sychdyn near Mold on 29th August 1958 age 60 years. He is buried in Everton Valley, Liverpool.

Harry Beadles mentioned in:

Red Dragons
The Story of Welsh Football
by Phil Stead

is a must buy book

for any Welsh football enthusiast.

Published by

Y Lolfa
First impression



Peter Beadles

Received the following message from Peter. KD
He can be contacted via 
I am the grandson of Thomas Edwin Beadles, Harry Beadles' brother.  I used to visit Uncle Harry and Aunt Vi, cycling from Liverpool and camping in a local farmer's field. 
This was after Uncle Harry had had his stroke. I remember going with Harry's son to markets with a material stall and helping (?).
I have my Grandfather's Grandfather clock which was presented to him when he retired from the Liverpool police.  It still keeps excellent time.
I would be pleased to hear from any of the family

Peter Beadles



Danny Shone played with Harry Beadles for Graysons F.C., Garston. They signed for Liverpool at the same. I am grateful to Mr Doug Barlow for the following information on Danny. Danny was Doug's great uncle, and was born in Liverpool in 1900.


Harry Beadles, second right with Danny Shone.

Liverpool F.C.

Danny played for Liverpool a total 81 times between 1921 and 1925, he had a good start on arriving, scoring his first goal against Everton at Goodison - it was a 1-1 draw! A few weeks later he scored a hat trick against Middlesborough at Anfield. He was part of the Liverpool team which won the First Division Champoinship in 1921/22. He was then in and out of the team until the 2nd half of the 23/24 season when they switched him to No10, he then played 57 consecutive games and was the only player to play in every game (league and cup) in 24/25, as Liverpool ended in 4th place in Division One..

West Ham Utd.

Surprisingly after such a good season he only played 3 games in 25/26 (7th in Division One) and did not play in the first team in the 26/27 or 27/28 seasons and moved to West Ham in June 1928, where he had a tremendous start to the season, playing 12 of the first 13 games - but then no more. That season, West Ham were 17th in Division One.

Coventry City

Danny then moved to the 3rd Division South side,  Coventry City in January 1929 and played 9 games. Coventry ended 11th in that Division. I can only assume he got injured at West Ham.

 While at Liverpool he and Harry seemed to be competing for a place in the team as I don't think they actually played in the team together.

John English has also been in touch about Danny Shone - who is his great uncle too! John writes;

I have recently found your website and have read your story of Harry Beadles with great interest.
You have a contribution from Doug Barlow whose Great Uncle was Danny Shone.   Danny was so my Great Uncle - my maternal grandmother was Elizabeth May Shone, Danny's sister.

I have researched Danny's career and have a wealth of information gleaned from newspapers of the day which I have studied at the National Newspaper Library at Hendon. 
My research very much parallels your research on Harry, but I have not seen some of the photos on your site before.  I would be happy to share my material with you, if you would like.

Here is some of the remarkable information John has collated on Danny Shone! (Copyright John English - reproduced here with his kind permission) KD  

The following season, on Saturday October 16th 1920, The Liverpool Football Echo reported on 'The Shippers' home game against Runcorn. This is the first known match report referring to Danny Shone; 

Grayson's Garston v Runcorn

At Garston. Ellis scored for the home team after 15 minutes play from a corner. Runcorn tried hard to get on level terms and Moore struck the crossbar. Grayson's returned and Martin added the second goal. Moore again experienced hard lines and Shone scored the third goal for Grayson's whilst just before the interval Martin scored the fourth.

HT; Grayson's Garston 4 - 0 Runcorn
FT;  Grayson's Garston 4 - 1 Runcorn

After their victory over Runcorn,, Grayson's Garston climbed from 7th to 4th place in the League with a total of 7 points.

Grayston's Garston PlWLDF 16 - A 5   Pts 7  

On December 18th, Garston Gasworks was top of the West Cheshire League with 18 points and Grayson's Garston was second, equal on points;


Garston Gasworks
Grayson's Garston
North Liverpool
Ellesmere Port
Buckley United
West Kirby
Ellesmere Port CW
Port Sunlight
Prescot WW
Wirral Railway


= Cement Works
= Wire Work

Garston Gasworks - 1914

The final League positions for the 1920-21 season are unknown due to unfit records. However, Danny Shone must have impressed the Liverpool scouts this season and was signed up as a junior by Liverpool before the start of the 1921-22 season.

Danny Shone signed for Liverpool Football Club in the summer of 1921 at the age of 22, a replacement for the injured Dick Johnson. Liverpool was at the time managed by David Ashworth. A former referee, Ashworth presided over the club's best inter-war periods. With the acqusition of Beadles, Shone and Hopkin, he led Liverpool to the League Championship in 1921-22. This was acheived with a team that some regard as the greatest the club has ever fielded.

Liverpool Football Club

Ephraim Longworth   Donald McKinlay
John McNab  Walter Wadsworth  Tom Bromilow
Bill Lacey  Dick Forshaw  Danny Shone  Harry Chambers  Fred Hopkin

(Lucas, Matthews, Checkland, Beadles, Parry, Lewis, Bamber, Mitchell, Harold Wadsworth, Gilhespy, Cunningham)

Dick Forshaw and Harry 'Smiler' Chambers dominated the score-sheet for most of the season. Chambers was top scorer with 19 goals, Forshaw netted 17 and Danny Shone and Beadles were third top scorers with 6 goals each. Matthews, Beadles and Lewis had all been contenders for Danny Shone's centre forward position during the season, with Lewis predominating from January 1922 until the close.

Liverpool 1922-23 - Football League Champions
Danny Shone, sitting on ground, left

I have some reports on games from London newspapers reporting on his games at West Ham. One particular headline stands out after he scored a hat-trick against Middlesborough  -"The sun did not shine, but Shone!" 

Danny Shone
c 1928

I also have a cartoon from the Echo in which Danny features in a game against Tottenham.

Danny Shone - Liverpool
click here to see Danny's entry on the club website

John concludes;
I have compiled a 'book' on his career for the family record.  At present my book is a compilation of reports, statistics and pictures, strung together with some family history.

By the way, I am not a journalist or researcher - it's just my hobby or 'obsession'! 
I am very proud of Danny's career and support Liverpool FC with a passion.

Jimmy Kane

Liverpool F.C.

I was delighted to receive this message from a relative of Jimmy Kane, who was in the same Liverpool squad as Harry Beadles and Danny Shone. KD.
My name is John Rooney, I live in County Cork in Ireland.
I came across your website whilst searching for information on my great  uncle "Jimmy Kane", who played for Liverpool F.C. in the early 1920's.
I contacted Liverpool F.C. but unfortunately,  they had very little information about Jimmy.
So you might understand my surprise and delight to come across the team photos of the liverpool league winners 1921/22 and 1922/23 and also the players names. 
Jimmy also played for Runcorn Linnets F.C. in the early 1920's which I found after reading your website section on George Harry Beadles "he appeared to be quite some man, what a story he had to tell".
I must give praise to you on a wonderful family history website, I have not read all of it yet but so far it has made very good reading.
Thank you once again and good luck.

Jimmy was born in County Dublin, in 1896, after his parents died he moved to Liverpool with his siblings in about 1913-14.

Runcorn "Linnets"  F.C.
(click here to access their excellent website)

Jimmy played football for Runcorn "Linnets" F.C., according to Stephen Done, curator of the Liverpool Football Club museum.
Jimmy Kane signed for Runcorn F.C. on 1st June 1920.

Club crest courtesy of the
Runcorn "Linnets" F.C. Official Website.

Jimmy Kane joined LFC in 1921.

Jimmy was registered by the club to play in the Liverpool Central League (the reserve league) in June 1921. 
He was registered as a professional with Liverpool Football Club on the 5th of may 1922 and was made available for free transfer
by Liverpool in April 1923.

1921/22 League Champions
Harry Beadles, top left, F.Wood, J. Lillie, G. Owen, J. Kane
Third row; H. Riley (Groundsman), R. Forshaw, H. Chambers, Danny Shone, T. Lucas, W. Lacey, F. Checkland, H. Wadsworth, R. Johnson,
H. Lewis, F. Mitchell, F. Hopkin
C. Gillespy, F. Parry, J. Bamber, P. McKinney,
W. Cunningham, E. Scott,
T. Bromilow, C. Harrington, J. McNabb, W. Matthews,
W. Wadsworth, W. Constantin (Asst groundsman)
C. Wilson (Player's Coach), W. Connell (Trainer)
G. S Patterson (Secretary), D. G. Ashworth (Manager), M. McQueen (Director), I. J. Hill (Director), R. L. Martindale (Director) W. R. Williams (Chairman), J. Asbury (Vice Chairman), E.A. Bainbridge (Director),
T. Crompton (Director) W.H. Cartwright (Director) W.H. Webb (Director)

He played in the reserves
31 times in 1921/22 and
11 times in 1922/23.

 Liverpool F.C.   

Liverpool 1922-23 season
(Reds consecutive Championships)

First Division Table

1  Liverpool  60

2  Sunderland  54   
3  Huddersfield Town  53   
4  Newcastle United  48   
5  Everton  47   
6  Aston Villa  46   
7  West Bromwich Albion  45  
8  Manchester City  45   
9  Cardiff City  43   
10  Sheffield United  42   
11  Arsenal  42   
12  Tottenham Hotspur  41   
13  Bolton Wanderers  40    
14  Blackburn Rovers  40   
15  Burnley  38   
16  Preston North End  37   
17  Birmingham  37   
18  Middlesbrough  36   
19  Chelsea  36   
20  Nottingham Forest  34   
21  Stoke City  30   
22  Oldham Athletic  30 

Jimmy played for Runcorn through 1924/26.

Runcorn F.C.

Runcorn won the Cheshire Senior Cup in 1925


The Runcorn A.F.C. team which won the
Cheshire Senior Cup in 1925 for the first time
by defeating Crewe Alexandra Reserves by a goal to nil
at Chester, after a one all draw at Northwich ground

Back row, left to right: C. Bradbury, trainer, J. Berry,
T. Coleman,
J. Peet, J. Kane, J. Bazley, secretary,
A. Richardson, trainer

Front row: J. Hanson, E. Bullock, J. McGivney,
R. Spencer, Captain,
A. Smith, J. Benyon-Thomas

An incident in the play

A large number of loyal supporters from Merseyside witnessed the re-played Cheshire Cup final tie at Chester yesterday. Hopyan was unable to turn out and Hanson was drafted into the front line.

In the first half, Runcorn had decidedly the better of the game, and came very near scoring on several occasions. Spencer played good football indeed, the whole of the forwards played skilfully. Just before the interval Occleshaw made a desperate save. Half time: No Score.

Runcorn continued to experience hard lines after the interval but they persisted in their attack, and were eventually rewarded. After 25 minutes play Vavasor sent out Hanson, and he centred beautifully for Bullock, instead of taking the kick the latter deceived the backs by jumping over the ball and allowed McGivney to chip in and score.

Crewe adopted the one-back game, but their tactics did not succeed, and they failed to get the better of the Runcorn defence.

There was a scene of wild jubilation when the final sounded, with Runcorn winners by the only goal scored. 

A group of Runcorn supporters

Photos and press article courtesy of the
Runcorn "Linnets" F.C. Official Website.
We are very grateful to Mr Derek Greenwood,
Chairman of the above, for his kind cooperation
with this feature on Jimmy Kane.

Jimmy spent his time after his football days coaching South Liverpool F.C.. 

Jimmy Died in 1972 in Liverpool.

Ex-Liverpool FC
player dies
Former Liverpool F.C. defender Jimmy Kane, of 54 Ivy Avenue, Garston, Liverpool, has died at the age of 76.
A full back or half back, Mr Kane played for the Reds in the early 1920's and was later associated with South Liverpool for many years.
He leaves a widow, three daughters and a son.





Billy played with Harry Beadles at Cardiff City, and was also in the 1927 F.A Cup Final against Sheffield United. I am grateful to Mr Phil Davies for supplying information relating to Billy, his Great Uncle. 
Billy was born on the 16th February  1900, and in 1901 he lived at 8 Harriet Town, Troedyrhiw. His father was Thomas Davies and his mother was Mary Hannah Davies. Interestingly two older sisters are listed, on the census. Mary and Catherine. William was known as Willie or sometimes Billie. He had a good career and was in the Cardiff side which lost to Sheffield Utd in the 1925 FA Cup Final. I was thrilled to find pictures of him in your 'George Harold Beadles' section.

His career looked like this:
Troedrhiwfuwch;  Rhymney; Swansea Amateurs ; Swansea  Town  (10/6d donation), professional May, 1921; Cardiff City, June, 1924 (£25); Notts County, March, 1928; Tottenham Hotspur, February 15, 1930 (£3400); Swansea Town, Sept 14, 1933 (£300); Llanelli 1936-38.

Honours: Wales -17 full caps, FA Cup Finalist 1925, Football League Division two runners-up 1933, Welsh League representative X1 1927.

Davies began his career playing for his school and village teams, joining Rhymney where he once scored 61 goals in a single season. He was signed by Swansea Town in 1921, for 10/6 playing in every forward position for the club before settling at outside-right. He made his Wales debut while playing for Swansea. He was a very tricky, clever player, and his value had increased to £25, when,  in 1924 with the club going through financial trouble, he moved to Cardiff City. In his first season at the club he was part of the side that reached the FA Cup Final, including scoring direct from a corner-kick in the quarter-final victory over Leicester City, to win the match in the dying seconds. 

Unfortunatley he contracted a serious chest illness soon after and missed more than a year for the club, including missing the teams FA Cup victory in 1927. He briefly returned to the side at the start of the 1927-28 season but was sold to Notts County soon after, where he spent two years before moving on to Tottenham Hotspur, where he became a big success. At White Hart Lane, he was described thus; " Davies, the speedy, orthodox Welshman, who played many good games and never any bad.

 He later returned to Wales to finish his league career at Swansea. He was 5ft 7ins and weighed 10stone 10 pounds.

Swansea Town
1921 - 24
45 appearances
4 goals

Cardiff City
June 1924 - 28
88 appearances
17 goals

Notts County
1928 - 30
71 appearances
7 goals

Tottenham Hotspur
1930 - 33
109 appearances
19 goals

Swansea Town
1933 - 36
65 appearances
12 goals

1936 - 1938

29th April 1925

0 v 1

Tom Farquharson
James Nelson
Jimmy Blair
Harry Wake
Fred Keenor (C)
Billy Hardy
Willie Davies
Jimmy Gill
Joe Nicholson
Harry Beadles
Jack Evans

Charles Sutcliffe
Bill Cook
Ernest Milton
Harry Pantling
Seth King
George Green
Dave Mercer
Tommy Boyle
Harry Johnson
Billy Gillespie (C)
Fred Tunstall


Billy is seated front, 2nd left


Billy Davies is seated, 1st left

c 1930

During his career, Davies won a total of 17 caps for Wales, making a goalscoring debut in a 2-0 victory over Scotland on 16 February 1924. His last cap came on 1 February 1930 when he played in a 7-0 defeat against Ireland



The 1924 British Home Championship was an international football tournament played during the 1923-24 season between the British Home Nations. It was won by the excellent Welsh team of the early 1920s who achieved a whitewash of the other three home nations over the tournament, scoring five goals for just one in return.

The first match of the series was at home to Scotland. Wales withheld a lot of pressure in the early stages, as Scotland got to terms with the game. Fred Keenor of Cardiff was the best half back on the field and with Jenkins  hasving a good debut, the Scots began to fade. Little Billy Davies too was wearing his Welsh shirt for the first time and he scored the first goal from Keenor's pass. Len Davies clinched victory with the second goal.

Wales's second match at Blackburn against England,  was played on a treacherously snow-bound pitch. Fred Keenor was described as brilliant, playing through an injury from the previous week against Huddersfield. He set up the first goal with a 'scintillating run, beating four opponents and smashing a magnificent drive which Sewell in the English goal could only parry'. Vizard placed the rebound in the net.
The Welsh winner came from Billy Davies, who hammered in a 20 yard drive after Jack Nicholls had confused the English defence with a clever back-heel.

Wales won the Championship at Belfast by beating Ireland. Keenor and the Welsh half back line dominated the match. Moses Russell scored the only goal from a prenalty, after Vizard was fouled by Rollo.

Date Home
Away Venue
20.10.23 Ireland
Gillespie Croft 



16.2.23 Wales
W. Davies  L. Davies


1.3.24 Scotland
Cunningham  Morris      


3.3.24 England


Vizard W.Davies
15.3.24 Ireland


Russell (pen)
12.4.24 England


Taylor og

1923/24 Pl W D L  F - A  Pts 
WALES  3  3  0 0   5 - 1    6
SCOTLAND  3  1  1 1   3 - 3   3
ENGLAND  3  1  0 2   2 - 4  2
IRELAND  3  0  1 2   3 - 5   1

Billy's Welsh International
and goals

16.2.24 2v0 Scotland (1 goal) Cardiff
1.3.24   2v1 England (1 goal) Blackburn
15.3.24 1v0 Ireland Belfast
14.2.25 1v3 Scotland Edinburgh
28.2.25 1v2 England Swansea
18.4.25 0v0 Ireland Wrexham
31.10.25 0v3 Scotland Cardiff
13.2.26 0v3 Ireland Belfast
1.3.26 3v1 England (1 goal) London
30.10.26 0v3 Scotland Glasgow
4.2.28 2v1 Ireland (1 goal) Belfast
27.10.28 2v4 Scotland (2 goals) Glasgow
17.11.28 2v3 England Swansea
2.2.29 2v2 Ireland Wrexham
26.10.29 2v4 Scotland Cardiff
20.11.29 0v6 England London
1.2.30 0v7 Ireland Belfast

Billy on his motor bike with Harry Beadles. Billy was apparently a bit notorious with his motorbike. He and Harry actually crashed on it, and it was even made into one of those football scetches of the time.  They apparently crashed and a woman said. "I didn't see what happened". Harry apparently said, "Well wait there and we will go back and do it again"! 
Apparently when the Cardiff City team went to the tailors to get fitted for suits, Billy, who was affectionately called "Little Billy" was sent to the "Boys Dept" for his shoes, as he had size 4 feet, much to the amusement of the rest of the team!


Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.
Click here to visit their excellent site

Additional information Ian Garland, "A-Z Welsh International Football"