Newtonian Captain George Latham was both a Military and Football hero.
He saw combat in both The Boer War and The Great War, where he was awarded The Military Cross and Bar.

George was a Welsh Football International and played for Newtown, Liverpool, Southport Central, Stoke City and Cardiff City. 
He coached the Cardiff team which won the F.A. Cup in 1927.
He died in 1939 and the Newtown Football Club's ground, Latham Park is named after him.

George Latham M.C.
1881 - 1939


George Latham was born in Newtown on the 1st January1881, son of William and Esther Latham. The family initially lived in Cross Street.

The 1891 census shows the family living at Cross Street, Newtown. Esther Latham was head of household, married, aged 38 and a laundress, born in Birmingham. Her husband William was not at home on census day.
Son William was 16, an Engine driver, born in Shrewsbury.
Stephen, was 14, working as a Mill operative, born Stapleton.
Arnold, 10, born Stapleton, George, 8, and John, 6, were all scholars, the latter two were born Newtown. 

In 1901, William, George's father, had returned to live at home, was 50 and a general labourer, born in England.
His wife Esther was 50, and they had a son, Percy aged 16 as the only son living at home.

He trained as a tailor and worked for Richard James in Market Street.

When a lad, he attended evening classes at the New Road School, and with the team belonging to that institution first learnt the rudiments of football. 

New Road School

Friendly matches were chiefly indulged in, but in a medal competition the school eleven ran into the final, only to be beaten by the narrow margin of one goal. 

Latham assisted the team for one season, and usually occupied the inside right position.
When 16 years of age he joined Newtown Football Club in 1897, which was at that time connected with the Combination, and he figured in either of the inside positions of the forward line. Newtown reached the 4th Round of The Welsh Cup, losing to Aberystwyth Town.
Charles Parry was a prominent player in the side, and the club succeeded in reaching the fourth round of the Welsh Cup Competition when defeat was sustained at Aberystwyth. One season finished his term at Newtown.
He played with the club until 1900. 

The outbreak of hostilities in South Africa attracted Latham's attention, and he joined the Volunteer Company of the 24th South Wales Borderers, along with two or three other young Welshmen, including Richard Morris, rising to the rank of non-commissioned officer.
For fourteen months he was actively engaged against the Boers.
His company joined Lord Roberts, and took part in engagements at Brandfort on the 5th May 1900: Zand River, on May 10th, 1900; Potchefstroom, and marched through Bloemfontein to Johannesburg, where the British Flag was raised on the 31st May, 1900: and thence to Pretoria, where the British flag was raised on the 5th June 1900.

Lord Roberts crossing the Zand River on his way to Pretoria.

Bringing heavy guns across a drift to Pretoria.
Our young Corporal Latham received his discharge in Cape Town, and was decorated with a medal and four bars for his services.

Queen's South Africa Medal

In April 1900, our representatives in South Africa are whiling away the time in various ways when not actively engaged in fighting the Boers. Richard Morris and George Latham have had a game of football in match "5th Section v Rest of Company."

The Newtown lads were in the 5th Section team, who won by 4 to 0, and "Dicky and George" appear to have shared the honours by scoring two goals each. It would seem that the two have not lost any of the fine form they showed during the early part of the season in the Newtown team.

May 12, 1900
The following is an extract of an interesting letter which Mr. Alf Edwards has received from Private Richard Morris at Ketting Siding:

Richard 'Dickie' Morris

Our Captain allowed us to go to Fraserburg Road, a place about 42 miles higher up, to play a football match. This was a treat as we are not generally allowed to go out of hearing of the bugle.

I captained the team and we won by 13 goals to nil. I played centre, Latham and Baines (Welshpool) on the right, Corporal Howells (Builth), and Corporal Jones (Towyn), on the left.

We scored on in about 18 seconds from the kick-off, Latham scored five.

After the match we had tea with tongue, sardines, pickles, and bread. Sports were held here on Easter Monday, racing, jumping, &c.
I took first in the standing jump, 2nd in the tie-legged race, and 3rd in the long jump. 
The value of the prizes altogether was 8s. 6d.

He then commenced playing football at the Cape, and joined a team known as the Docks, in 1901 as outside right, with whom he played for one season, during the months of May to August, which constitutes the winter term in South Africa.

His club were runners-up in the League, which included organisations known as Pensiula, Caledonians, and the latter beat them in the final of the Mayor's Cup.

Latham also participated in the England v. Scotland match, between representatives of the two countries then in the Colony, assisting the former eleven, whilst he played for a team designated the Mother Country against a Colonial born side.

In addition, he was chosen by one, Mr. A.D. Godbold, a great football enthusiast, to assist his team, which was making a tour through Natal, and matches were played at Port Elizabeth and elsewhere, all of which were won by the tourists. This pleasant outing lasted a month and proved a great success from every point of view.

Latham then returned to his native town, in time to start the football season of 1902-3 at Newtown.

For two months he figures in his old team and played inside right in the Welsh Cup tie with Wrexham, on the latter's ground, a draw being the result.

Everton 1902/03
The form displayed here led to Latham being offered a trial with Everton, and he should have donned the colours in a friendly against West Bromwich at Goodison Park, but on that day which, by the way, was the same afternoon that Liverpool were being trounced in a Cup Tie at Southampton, snow fell so heavily that the match was cancelled.

He was chosen for a second trial a fortnight later, but in the meantime had decided to return to South Africa again.

On March 22nd, 1902, he left England, and experienced another football season at the Cape.
He joined the Caledonians this time, and by a singular turn of Fortune's wheel, his club were the runners-up in the League, and were beaten in the final for the Mayor's Cup by the Docks, his first choice, which led to some good humoured banter at his expense, for not rejoining his former comrades. 
Latham did not remain long in the land of Veldts and Kopjes, and at the commencement of the season 1902-3 he expressed a desire to play for Liverpool. 

Liverpool F.C.
1902 - 1909 

The move to Liverpool was readily arranged, and he assisted the Anfielders during this campaign as an Amateur, generally playing outside right.

The following year he became a professional, and having an idea that he would make greater progress as a half back, he was transferred to the intermediate line as centre. Last season he figures in nearly every position in the team, and a like experience has been his lot this winter.

 He may be rightly regarded as the general utility man of the side, and in this fashion has rendered useful service to his club.

Profile of George Latham
April 1905
Amongst the prominent recruits in the ranks of the Liverpool reserves, there is no more promising player than the subject of our present sketch.
Steady, reliable and willing, with the inestimable advantage of youth on his side, we trust that George Latham will qualify for a permanent place in the Liverpool League team in the near future. Some players there are who reach a certain standard and prove incapable of further advancement, but we have sanguine hopes that Latham will rise above these difficulties and emerge as a player worthy of ranking in the best of company.
Latham is an untiring worker on the field, and his ceaseless energy more than compensates for any deficiency in point of ability.
He stands 5ft. 8in., and in sturdily built, for he scales the beam at 12st 4lbs.
In feeding his forwards he has shown considerable improvement recently, and with experience he should quickly remedy these failings, which at present keep him from being regarded as a League player of the first water. There is no mistaking his enthusiasm, however, and with such a footballer all things are possible.
He indulges in cricket, and as wicket keeper has displayed some cleverness; but football is his game, and were it not for the present serious predicament of the Liverpool club, we should like to see how he disports himself in the League team. Under happier auspices this consummation may possibly be realised, and Latham will not be found wanting.

George Latham.

The Liverpool Reserve centre half is an example of a man who has but small scope in his club who has done well in Internationals.
He has always appeared to advantage in the Welsh team, and the English left wing will have alltheir work cut out to beat this robust player.
Latham has played football in both hemispheres, and he was counted one of the best men in South Africa, where he distinguished himself during the war. 

Port Vale

George joined Liverpool in 1902, but did not make his debut until the 8th of April 1905, when the Anfield side thrashed visitors Burslem Port Vale 8v1 in a Second Division match. It was his only game during the 1904-05 season.


November 25th 1905

Liverpool selected George Latham, who had served in the Army in the Boer War, in place of Raisbeck, who was suffering from a cold.

Liverpool; West, Dunlop, Parry, Latham, Bradley, Goddard, Robinson, Hewitt, Raybould, Cox

George Latham 1905

He only made a few appearances during the next three seasons, appearing 18 times in the league and once in the F.A. Cup

 George Latham's Appearances for
Liverpool F.C.

1904/05 Second Division   
     1  08.04.1905 8 - 1  Burslem Port Vale       Anfield

 1905/06 First Division
George Latham, the centre-half of Liverpool Reserve, will appear in the League eleven today at Sunderland, in the left half position. 
Ever a worker, he has gained many friends by reason of his unassuming disposition. 
He is a native of Newtown, Montgomeryshire. 
He assisted Liverpool as an amateur in 1902-3, playing outside right. 
Last season he found his position at centre half. 
He is 22 years of age, stands 5ft. 8in., and weighs 12st. 4lb.,  a man of splendid build for a footballer.
     2  16.09.1905 2 - 1  Sunderland                  Roker Park  
     3  25.11.1905 3 - 2  Newcastle United    St James' Park
     4  17.02.1906 2 - 1  The Wednesday          Anfield 
FAC 24.02.1906 2 - 0  Brentford                  Anfield
     5  14.03.1906 2 - 1  Nottingham Forest  City Ground
     6  21.04.1906 3 - 1  Sheffield United          
1906/07 First Division
7  01.12.1906 1 - 0  Derby                   Baseball Ground
     8  08.12.1906 1 - 3  Bristol City                  Ashton Gate
     9  15.12.1906 5 - 1  Notts County              Anfield
   10  22.12.1906 0 - 1  Sheffield United          Bramall Lane
   11  25.12.1906 0 - 0  Manchester United     Bank Street
   12  26.12.1906 0 - 2  Bolton                        Anfield
   13  01.01.1907 0 - 3  Bolton                        Burnden Park
   14  17.04.1907 2 - 4  Middlesbrough         Anfield
   15  27.04.1907 2 - 2  Sheffield United        Anfield

Liverpool 1907
George Latham third row down, far right

   16  02.09.1907 1 - 3  Nottingham Forest     City Ground
   17  07.09.1907 0 - 4  Manchester United     Bank Street
   18  28.03.1908 1 - 3  Bury                              Gigg Lane 

George did not play for the first team this season, although he appears in the team photo, second from the right, top row.
George's contract ended in 1909 and he was transferred to Southport Central the following season.

Southport Central
1909 - 1910


The Manchester Courier of June 5th, 1909 reported that George Latham, the Welsh international right half back, has signed on for Southport Central. He was connected with the Liverpool Club for a number of years.
One of the few bright features of the 1909-10 season was the form of George Latham. He was a full back and a popular favourite with the crowd.
1909/10 Lancashire Combination 
Southport Central position 18th out of 20
Pl 38 W 13 D 7 L 18 F 61 A 67 Pts 33

He became the first player to gain international honours while actually playing for Southport when he was capped by Wales against England, on the 14th March 1910 at Cardiff. Wales 0v1 England.
At the end of the season he was transferred to Stoke City.

 Stoke City
Stoke City, in both the Southern League and Birmingham and District League, secured the signature of George Latham, the well known Welsh International formerly of the Liverpool Football Club in May 1910 . Latham, who can play either full back or half back, appeared for Wales against England at Cardiff last season.
Southern League Division 2
1910 / 1911

Birmingham and District League
1910 / 1911

George played 8 games for the club, but didn't score any goals 
Southern League Div 2:
12.9.1910  Treharris 1v4 Stoke City 

17.10.1910 Aberdare 2v4 Stoke City
5.11.1910   Stoke City 3v0 Chesham Town
Birmingham and District League:
26.11.1910 Stoke City 6v1 Wolverhampton Reserves

12.12.1910  Stoke City 4v0 Walsall
24.12.1910 Stoke City 4v1 Brierley Hill Alliance
 7.1.1911     Stoke City 2v1 Worcester
Southern League Div 2:
4.2.1911     Chesham Town 0v8 Stoke City

Cardiff City
1911 - 1914

Cardiff City were in the Southern League Divison Two, when George joined them.

SEASON LEAGUE      Pl    W  D  L     F    A   Pts  POS
1910-11 SOUTH-2     22  12   4   6    48  29  28   4/12
1911-12 SOUTH-2     26  15   4   7    55  26  34   3/14
 Welsh Cup Winners
1911 -12 
Cardiff City

Cardiff City
SEASON LEAGUE      Pl  W    D  L      F   A  Pts POS
1912-13 SOUTH-2     24  18   5   1    54  15  41   1/13
Promoted to Division One
Welsh Cup Semi Finalists
1913-14 SOUTH-1     38  13  12  13  46  42  38  10/20
1914-15 SOUTH-1     38  22   4  12   72  38  48   3/20

George Latham
10 Welsh International Appearances

1905 - 1913

With Liverpool F.C.;

International honours have fallen to his lot, rather fortunately.
For the fixture with Scotland at Wrexham Maurice Parry was chosen, but he was unable to play owing to an important League fixture, being due at Bradford the following day.
This proved to be Latham's opportunity, and by a curious stroke of luck Parry was unable through injuries to play against England at Anfield, which again let in Latham. In every probablility his third cap will be gained against Ireland, this week-end, Saturday, the 8th inst.

Wales 3v1 Scotland
6th March 1905 at Wrexham
Leigh Richmond Roose, Everton F.C.   

Horace Elford Blew, Wrexham A.F.C.  
Charles Richard Morris, Derby County F.C.   
George Latham, Liverpool F.C.
Edward Hughes, Tottenham Hotspur F.C.   
John Hughes, Liverpool F.C.,  
William Henry "Billy" Meredith, Manchester City F.C.   
Arthur Davies, Middlesbrough F.C.,   
Walter Martin Watkins, Sunderland A.F.C.   
Arthur Grenville Morris, Nottingham Forest F.C.   
Alfred Oliver, Bangor F.C.   

England 3v1 Wales
27th March 1905 at Liverpool  
Leigh Richmond Roose, Everton F.C.   
Albert Thomas Jones Nottingham Forest F.C.   
Charles Richard Morris, Derby County F.C.   
George Latham, Liverpool F.C.   
Edward Hughes, Tottenham Hotspur F.C.   
John Hughes, Liverpool F.C.   
William Henry "Billy" Meredith, Manchester City F.C.   
William Jones "Lot", Manchester City F.C.   
Walter Martin Watkins, Sunderland A.F.C.   
Arthur Grenville Morris, Nottingham Forest F.C.   
Alfred Oliver, Blackburn Rovers F.C. 

Scotland 0v2 Wales
3rd March 1906 at Edinburgh
Leigh Richmond Roose, Stoke F.C.   

Horace Elford Blew, Wrexham A.F.C.   
Charles Richard Morris, Derby County F.C.   
Edwin Hughes, Wrexham A.F.C.   
Morgan Maddox Morgan-Owen, Corinthians F.C.   
George Latham,Liverpool F.C.   
William Jones "Lot", Manchester City F.C.   
Richard Morris, Leeds City F.C.   
John Love Jones, Stoke F.C.   
Richard Jones,Millwall Athletic F.C.   
Robert Ernest "Bobby" Evans, Wrexham A.F.C. 

Ireland 2v3 Wales
23rd February 1907 at Belfast
Leigh Richmond Roose, Stoke F.C.   
James Roberts, Bradford City A.F.C.   
Lloyd Leigh Davies, Stoke F.C.   
George Latham, Liverpool F.C.   
George Owen Williams, Wrexham A.F.C.   
Llewelyn Charles Davies, Wrexham A.F.C.   
William Henry "Billy" Meredith, Manchester United F.C.   
William Jones "Lot", Manchester City F.C.   
Arthur Howell Hughes, Chirk A.A.A. F.C.   
Richard Morris, Grimsby Town F.C.   
Gordon Peace Jones, Wrexham A.F.C.

Wales 3v2 Ireland, Belfast 1907.
Players back row; George Latham, G.O. Williams, J. Roberts,
L.R. Roose, Lloyd Davies, Ll. Davies, Linesman Evan Rees, Newtown
Front Row; Mr S. Roberts, trainer, Lot Jones, Arthur Hughes, W. Meredith. R. Morris (formerly Newtown), Gordon Jones.

Wales 1v0 Scotland
4th March 1907 at Wrexham
Leigh Richmond Roose, Stoke F.C.   

Horace Elford Blew, Wrexham A.F.C.   
Charles Richard Morris, Derby County F.C.   
George Latham, Liverpool F.C.   
Lloyd Leigh Davies, Stoke F.C.   
Ioan Haydn Price, Aston Villa F.C.   
William Henry "Billy" Meredith, Manchester United F.C.   
William Jones "Lot", Manchester City F.C.   
Hugh Morgan-Owen, Welshpool F.C.   
Arthur Grenville Morris, Nottingham Forest F.C.   
Gordon Peace Jones, Wrexham A.F.C.

Montgomeryshire Express 12th March 1907
Undoubtedly the best wing half in the International at Wrexham on Monday was George Latham, one of Newtown's sons. He gave a very creditable performance and is fully deserving of the honour conferred upon him of being again elected to represent Wales against England. 

England 1v1 Wales
18th March 1907 at London   
Leigh Richmond Roose, Stoke F.C.   
Lloyd Leigh Davies, Stoke F.C.   
Samuel Meredith, Stoke F.C.   
George Latham, Liverpool F.C.   
Morgan Maddox Morgan-Owen, Corinthians F.C.   
Edward Hughes, Tottenham Hotspur F.C.   
William Henry "Billy" Meredith,
Manchester United F.C.   

William Jones "Lot", Manchester City F.C.   
Arthur William Green, Nottingham Forest F.C.   
Arthur Grenville Morris, Nottingham Forest F.C.   
Robert Ernest "Bobby" Evans, Aston Villa F.C

Montgomeryshire Express 26 March 1907
ENGLAND V WALES Craven Cottage
Craven Cottage
A few old Newtonians had a happy time at Craven Cottage on Monday. Several of them met outside the ground to see George Latham when the player drove up in a motor car. We gave him a good old cheer and shook hands all round. 'Play Up Newtown!' was the cry on the ground and we nearly shouted ourselves hoarse. George did play a game too, well worthy of the town. 

Wales 1v7 England
16th March 1908 at Wrexham
Leigh Richmond Roose, Sunderland A.F.C.   

 (replaced on 46' by David Davies,
Bolton Wanderers F.C.)   

Horace Elford Blew, Wrexham A.F.C.   
Charles Richard Morris, Derby County F.C.   
Edwin Hughes, Nottingham Forest F.C.   
George Latham, Liverpool F.C.   
Maurice Pryce Parry, Liverpool F.C.   
William Henry "Billy" Meredith,
Manchester United F.C.   

William Henry Matthews, Chester F.C.   
William Davies, Blackburn Rovers F.C.   
Arthur Grenville Morris, Nottingham Forest F.C.   
Robert Ernest "Bobby" Evans, Aston Villa F.C.

Ireland 2v3 Wales
20th March 1909 at Belfast 
Leigh Richmond Roose, Sunderland A.F.C.   
Charles Richard Morris, Derby County F.C.   
Jeffrey Woodward Jones, Llandrindod Wells F.C.   
George Latham, Liverpool F.C.   
Ernest Peake, Liverpool F.C.   
Lloyd Leigh Davies, Northampton Town F.C.   
William Henry "Billy" Meredith,
Manchester United F.C.   

George Arthur Wynn, Wrexham A.F.C.   
William Davies, Blackburn Rovers F.C.   
William Jones "Lot", Manchester City F.C.   
Ioan Haydn Price, Wrexham A.F.C.  

With Southport Central; 

Wales 0v1 England
14th March 1910 at Cardiff
Leigh Richmond Roose, Sunderland F.C.

Horace Elford Blew, Wrexham A.F.C.     
Charles Richard Morris, Derby County F.C.   
Edwin Hughes, Nottingham Forest F.C.   
George Latham, Southport Central F.C.   
Llewelyn Charles Davies, Wrexham A.F.C.   
William Henry "Billy" Meredith, Manchester United F.C.   
George Arthur Wynn, Manchester City F.C.   
William Jones "Lot", Manchester City F.C.   
Arthur Grenville Morris, Nottingham Forest F.C.   
Robert Ernest "Bobby" Evans, Sheffield United F.C.   

With Cardiff City F.C.;
George Latham was the Welsh and Cardiff City Coach. 
He had not played for some three years. Wales went to Ireland 
and were a man short... so George played

Ireland 0v1 Wales
18th January 1913 at Belfast 
     William Ellis Bailiff, Llanelly F.C.   
Thomas John Hewitt, Chelsea F.C.   
Llewelyn Charles Davies, Wrexham A.F.C.   
George Latham, Cardiff City F.C.   
Ernest Peake, Liverpool F.C.   
Joseph Thomas Jones, Stoke F.C.   
William Henry "Billy" Meredith,
Manchester United F.C.   

David Walter Davies, Oldham Athletic A.F.C.   
Walter Otto Davis, Millwall Athletic F.C.   
James Roberts, Wrexham A.F.C.   
John Hugh Evans, Cardiff City F.C.

Latham, originally a tailor, was half back who played many years in international football - he was a Welshman as nearly everyone knows, and a dour dogged played he was, too.


 The Great War
1914 - 1918
 Captain George Latham

7th Battalion
Royal Welch Fusilers

George enlisted in 1914 as an instructor and spent several months training with his regiment at Park Hall Camp near Oswestry , before being deployed in June 1916.
It is stated that Lieut. George Latham, Newtown, the well-known footballer, has been recommended for the Victoria Cross for his gallantry in action.

Lieut. Latham, who is a Welsh international and was for five years before the war, trainer of the Cardiff City team, has had considerable military experience.

He served 18 years in the old Volunteers, in which he held the rank of sergeant, and when just 17 he volunteered for active service with the South Wales Borderers in South Africa.

He accepted a commission in the 3/7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers on Monday 9th August 2015 and was promoted to Lieutenant in 1916 was for several months stationed at Park Hall Camp, and went to the front last July.

His football career has been a notable one.  For eight years he played for Liverpool, and then for Southport and Stoke before going to Cardiff.

He has international caps for seven matches, and was in the Welsh team which first beat Scotland and in the Cardiff team when the Welsh Cup went to South Wales for the first time.

Ex-Liverpool Lieut. Latham decorated 
After gaining highest honours on the football field, two well known Welsh footballers have further distinguished themselves on other fields,  and are now mentioned in the latest dispatches of General Murray, who, until recently, was in command of the forces in Egypt.

They are Lieut.-Col. T.W. Pearson, the old Cardiff-Newport Welsh international three quarter, and Lieut. George Latham, the Cardiff City trainer. Lieut. Latham, who served through the South African war, played with distinction for Wrexham, Liverpool, and Wales prior to going to Cardiff. Latham had already been given a distinctive sign, the Military Cross.

He was awarded the Military Cross in 1917 and was reportedly originally recommended for the Victoria Cross; 
the highest military honour for British forces, for his gallantry in capturing enemy positions on the Turkish front while under heavy fire, taking soldiers from Austria, Germany and Turkey as prisoners.

He added a Bar for his actions fighting in Beersheba, in Israel under the command of Edmund Allenby, where he 'threw bombs at the advancing Turks until his arm grew so tired he could throw no more'.
Military Cross
and Bar

He was also Mentioned in dispatches by General Archibald Murray, commander of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force at the time.
He later travelled with his regiment to fight in Palestine.

It was during his service in the First World War that Latham first met his long time friend Harry Beadles. During their time in Palestine, Latham and Beadles played football for their division, the 7th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and won the British Forces in Egypt Football League Cup Final in 1919.
7th Batallion Royal Welch Fusiliers
British Forces Champions 1919
George Latham is seated front row 3rd left and
Harry Beadles 2nd right with dog in Egypt

North Wales Journal
28th February 1919

George relaxing


Cardiff City
1918- 1932

After returning to Wales, Latham took up a position as a coach at Cardiff City.  Working alongside Fred Stewart, his spell at Ninian Park coincided with one of the most successful spells in the history of the club, including reaching the FA Cup final on two occasions, losing 1-0 to Sheffield United in 1925 before beating Arsenal 1-0 in 1927.
They were in the Second Division of the Southerrn League.

SEASON LEAGUE     Pl    W    D      L F     A   Pts      POS
1919-20 SOUTH-1    42   18   17   7   70   43   53      4/22
 Welsh Cup Winners
1919 - 20

Cardiff City

Elected to Football League Division Two, lost title on goal average.
Promoted to Division One.
F.A. Cup semi-finalists.

While serving as a coach Latham was forced into playing for the side in a 3-1 win over Blackburn Rovers on 2 January 1922 after two of the clubs players were taken ill prior to the match, becoming the oldest debutant in the history of the club at 41. It was his only appearance for the club.
   Welsh Cup Winners

Cardiff City
Ton Pentre

   Welsh Cup Winners

Cardiff City
Football League runner-up, lost title on the smallest of margins of goal average.

1924 Olympic Games

George Latham Managed the Great Britain Team
Link to the 1924 Olympic Games Results 

4th Placed
9 Gold
13 Silver
12 Bronze
F.A. Cup runners-up
 F.A. Cup Runners Up

Sheffield United
Cardiff City 
Cardiff City Team:
Keenor (Capt)
Davies W.
Evans J.


The County Times
2nd May 1925
Large numbers of local football followers were at the Empire Stadium, Wembley, on Saturday, to see the F.A. Cup Final between Cardiff City and Sheffield United. It is estimated that out of the total crowd of over 90,000 spectators, 30,000 were from Wales. Although beaten 1v0, the Cardiff team retains its hold as one of the dominant figures in the football world. The Cardiff Team was given a civic reception on its return home on Monday.
"None more disappointed and none more worthy of success after the Wembley duel than was Captain George Latham, trainer of the Cardiff City Club" states the 'Athletic News'.
Captain Latham is a native of Newtown. As a player he assisted Liverpool, Southport Central and Stoke. He was capped for Wales 1905-6-7-8-9- 10-13. His last game for Wales on January 18, 1913, was a curious experience, for, after travelling with the team to meet Ireland at Belfast as trainer, he was pessed into service at right half back - and Wales won by a single goal. He joined Cardiff City in 1910-11. and there is no more painstaking football coach". 

Great interest will be taken in the announcement that the Cardiff City team, finalists in the F.A. Cup competition, is visiting Newtown on Monday week to play a match against Montgomeryshire, in aid of the Montgomery County Infirmary.
The Cardiff City team will be the same that played at Wembley in the English Cup Final. The team leaves for Ireland on Monday, and will there play three matches. They will go to Chester a week today and remain there over the weekend, coming to Newtown on Monday for the match.
The match will be included in the team's tour, arranged for by the directors, who will meet all the expenses connected with the visit. As is well known, Captain George Latham, M.C., trainer of the Cardiff City team is a Newtown man, and Beadles, one of the forwards is also a native of the same town. 

Cardiff City F.C. 1924/25
Harry Beadles seated third from the right.
George Latham at rear, left.


  F.A. Cup Winners

Cardiff City
Cardiff City team:
Keenor (Capt)
L. Davies
  Welsh Cup Winners

Cardiff City

The F.A. Cup

The F.A. Cup arrives at Newtown, courtesy of
George Latham and Cardiff City F.C., F.A. Cup Winners.
Jack Blayney meets George
The highlight of George's career has to be coaching the 1927 Cardiff City team that brought the FA Cup to Wales.

One man who remembers the day the "English Cup" came to Newtown is lifelong Bluebirds fan, Jack Blayney.

Now 86, Mr Blayney was just eight-years-old when his father, who was a coachman at the Bear Hotel, had orders to fetch Latham, the team and the cup from the town's railway station.

He said: "He took me and my older brother. We shook hands with all of them. We actually drank from the cup. In those days it was called the English Cup."

The prize silverware was paraded along the balcony overlooking Broad Street to a cheering crowd and the young Jack was there. "We had a birds-eye view," said Mr Blayney who, with his wife, Rhoda, has been an active volunteer at Newtown AFC for decades.
Jack and Rhoda Blayney
July 2008
The couple plan to retire from their volunteer work at the club at the end of this season, when Mrs Blayney marks 50 years of support.

Mr Blayney remembers George Latham as a "a tubby man". 
He said: "He was a well-built fellow. He was well liked and would get on with anyone."
(April 2008)

16th May 1925

Montgomery County Infirmary.
In accordance with what has now become a yearly custom, the Cardiff City first league team visited Newtown on Monday for the purpose of playing an exhibition football match for the benefit of the Montgomery County Infirmary. The attendance was larger than that of last year and £120 was raised.
At the express wish of the visiting team their opponents were selected from among the local teams of the county.
Len Davies
Hugh Lumley (Machynlleth)
Percy Davies (Welshpool)
H. Roberts (Llanidloes)
E. Evans (Llanidloes)
J. Lloyd (Llanidloes)
Archie Jones (Newtown)
J. Mason (Llanidloes)
W. Parry (Newtown)
H. Crisp (Llanidloes)
T. Crisp (Llanidloes)
H. Townsend (Newtown) 
John Lloyd, the captain for Montgomeryshire, won the toss and the game started quietly. Townsend and Mason made excellent attempts at scoring. The City men constantly worked the ball skilfully towards their goal, and Lumley was tested with a beautiful drive by Nicholson and later by Beadles.
The score was opened by Montgomeryshire when Wilfred Parry sent a cross in for T. Crisp to neatly head into the net, to the accompaniment of a good deal of enthusiasm in the crowd.
At the other end, Evan Evans scraped the ball away from danger at the expense of a corner when Beadles was making his way in a businesslike manner towards the goal.
Montgomeryshire led 1v0 at half time.
Cardiff's first goal came from a header following a corner.
Within a few minutes, Beadles added a second beautiful goal. But the best goal of the match was the equaliser and the last of the match. Harold Townsend cleverly got possession of the ball, and sent across to Crisp, who shot without loss of time, and made the scores level. Lumley was again tested on a few occasions, but his vigilance did not desert him, and the Montgomeryshire team retired with an equal share of the glory.
Mr T Beaumaont ably kept control, and Messers E.R. Morris and George Owen, Newtown, acted as linesmen.
After the match, the two teams were entertained to dinner at The Bear Hotel, Dr Shearer, chairman of the Infirmary Board, presided, and he extended to the players the thanks of the Board for their kindness, and also to the directors.
Mr G. W. Norton seconded the vote of thanks which was responded to by councillor Parker, Mr Stewart, Mr Blair, the captain of the team and Captain George Latham, on behalf of the Cardiff team, and by Mr Hugh Lumley, on behalf of the Montgomeryshire team.
Mr Blair submitted the health of Captain Latham, and it was drunk with enthusiasm.
In the evening a dance was held at the Drill Hall and it was attended by over 300 people. Excellent music was supplied by the Dixie Jazz Band under Mr W. F. Cooke and Messers George Owen and W. P Andrews were M.C.'s. Mrs Bennet, Broad Street was in charge of refreshments. Twenty four tables of whist were made up and Messers Pryce Wilson and E.R. Morris were in charge.
 Welsh Cup Winners

Cardiff City
Bangor City 

 Welsh Cup Runners Up
Connah's Quay
& Shotton
Cardiff City

 Welsh Cup Winners

Cardiff City

Cardiff City

Welsh Cup semi-finalists
Relegated to Division Three South


Newtown Visits
During the close season, George returned to the family home in Union Street, and visited Newtown Bowling club and The Bear Hotel Bowling Green.
As a trainer he was also a first class masseur and had a remarkable knowledge of the human body, much derived from his mother, the local midwife, Nurse Esther Latham.
His concern with the well-being of others extended to organising matches for Newtown against Cardiff City and Chester, with proceeds going to help the newly built Montgomeryshire County Infirmary.

In 1926 he was presented with a gold watch and chain in recognition of his efforts. 

Tough times ahead for Cardiff City
Dundee Courier,
Friday 29th April 1932
Cardiff City, for financial reasons, have decided to dispense with the services of George Latham, their head trainer, and A. Goldstone, the groundsman.

Latham has been with Cardiff for 22 years.
In his playing days he assisted Liverpool, Southport Central, and Stoke, and was capped on ten occasions by Wales.  
After leaving Cardiff, Latham worked as a coach at Chester City and returning to Cardiff until his retirement.
  Chester City F.C.

 After a short period at Chester, George returned to Cardiff City.

 Cardiff City

In 1936, Latham was seriously injured in a bicycle accident and was forced to give up his coaching role.

George returned to his home town Newtown, where he suffered bad health and died 3 years later on July 9th, 1939.

George Latham, Harry Beadles, Len Davies wives and friends
at Devil's Bridge

Harry Beadles with George Latham

 Death of Captain George Latham
Liverpool Daily Post
Sunday, July 9 - 1939
The death has taken place at the Montgomery County Infirmary, Newtown, of Captain George Latham, D.S.O., in his fifty eight year.He had been ill for about two years.

He had been a Welsh international footballer. After being with the Newtown club he joined Liverpool, playing for them for some years. After being with the Newtown club he joined Liverpool, playing for them for some years. He later became trainer to Cardiff City. It was during his period at Cardiff that the City won the Welsh and English Cups in the same season.
He joined Chester as trainer for one season, returning to Cardiff City, which club he left about three seasons ago.

He then went to live in Newtown, his native place.

He, with Mr. Ted Robbins, was in charge of the Welsh football team which toured Canada some five or six years ago. 
He helped in raising considerable sums by bringing Cardiff City's first team play matches in aid of the Montgomery County Infirmary at Newtown.

His funeral was attended by numerous footballers and his longtime friend Harry Beadles was one of his Pallbearers.
The County Times from 2 May 1925 said: "there is no more painstaking football coach." A Cardiff City Cup final souvenir describes Latham as "probably the most popular and best loved man in football."
Ten days after his death a meeting was held by the Infirmary Board to consider a memorial to George.
By December 1940, £122 had been raised. However the Second World War intervened and it was not until March 1949 that the Memorial on his grave was unveiled.
During this period the officials of Newtown A.F.C. had decided to purchase a new ground.
George Latham is buried in the Llanllwchaiarn Churchyard

Latham Park was so named in honour of
a Newtown footballing hero of the past.

In May 1950, it was reported to the AGM of Newtown A.F.C. that preparatory work had done, but that the original estimate of £2,500 was insufficient.
In January 1951 a cheque for £126 was handed to Chris Evans, treasurer of The Robins, by Llyn Davies, Secretary of the old pre-war club on Pool Road.
It had been decided in 1939 that after selling the old ground (required by the Ministry of Defence for The Factory) the proceeds should be handed over to assist in financing a new ground scheme.

Newtown Carnival Committee had also contributed £1,000. It was decided to name the ground Latham Park in honour of a great sportsman. The land purchased was known as Clayton's Field, and was owned by farmer Bernard Clayton.
The Ministry of Works granted permission for a grandstand to be built by Shukers, whose employees offered to erect it free of charge.
For weeks scores of local enthusiasts helped clear the pitch of stones, but poor drainage hindered progress.
However, on August 25th, 1951, Latham Park opened with a league match against Aberystwyth.
 Before the kick off, a minute's silence was observed in memory of Welsh Amateur International Bobby Hibbott, a local man, who had tragically died a few weeks earlier. 
A crowd of 1,211 were at the game, with gate receipts totalling £60 7s 0d. 

 LATHAM PARK in 1951
Formerly known as Clayton's Field
and owned by Mr Bernard Clayton

 Pictured here is the Newtown team that played
the first competitive fixture at
Latham Park, on 25th August 1951.
Back row; Gwilym Lloyd, Pryce Smith, Glynn Lumsden, Harry Jones, Billy Purnell, Brian Jones, Johnny Jones
Front row; Iorrie Oliver, Bryan Rees, Brian F. Jones,
Edgar P. Williams, Les Stephens

Newtown's crowd at the first game against Aberystwyth

B.F. Jones 
Brian 'B.F.' Jones, a young 16 year old, scored the first goal at Latham Park.
He went on to score a hat-trick in the 4v0 victory against Aberystwyth.
George Latham's mother was a midwife, and the last baby she brought into this world was Brian. 
 Esther  Latham
The George Latham Linament.
Brian F. Jones recalls using George's linament which consisted of a concoction of mixed oils and grit, which was applied to a player's calf and thigh muscles.
It gave a tingling sensation and was very welcome in wet and cold conditions, having its own particular smell.
Brian had the honour/pleasure of playing in the opening match at Latham Park in September 1951, and the Robins of the 50s and 60s used the 'Magic Potion' to full effect until the emergence of the modern sprays took over.
Latham Park
Latham Park photographed in 1999


A collection personally gathered by George Latham, Welsh International from 1905 to 1913, realised top price of £2,500 at Mullock Madeley's April football memorabilia sale.
Auctioneer John Mullock said he was delighted with the day's trading, describing bidding as very brisk in the packed sale room - further buffered by a heavy entry of commission bids.
The Latham collection included autographs from the England and Wales teams at Ninian Park.
(Undated press cutting around 2000) 

 I'm very grateful to the following who had kindly contributed
 to this item on George Latham.
Newtown A.F.C.
Nicky Morris
Harry Beadles's granddaughter
Frank Moore's Photograps old and new of Newtown
(Ian Gaskin)
Allan Roberts
Play Up, Liverpool F.C. (Kjehan) (website)
National Library of Wales, Welsh Newspapers on line (website)
Frank and Hanni Clayton
Kieran Smith
Örjan Hansson
Historical Football Kits (website)
Football Club History Database - Cardiff City (website)
BBC News Channel (webpage)
Encyclopedia of British Football