Sarah Michell Roberts nee Jenkins
My Jenkins Family
William Henry Michell
Aberystwyth - Various
The Great Storm of 1938s
Red Dragons. The History of Welsh Football
William Henry Michell
I'm very grateful to Idwena Michell Jones for supplying the following information:
The British census for 1871 shows William Henry Michell as a scholar in Aberystwyth aged 19, lodging at 20 Queen Street, Aberystwyth with Margaret James 75, a widow and her daughter Margaret 29, a dressmaker.
At the time educational facilities were few and far between in Aberystwyth. Ardwyn County School (later Ardwyn Grammar School) wasn't opened until 1896, and the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth (now Aberystwyth University) was not founded until 1872, and it was some years later that it started enrolling students.
Some interesting information has been found in a book entitled 'Born on a Perilous Rock' written by W J Lewis in the late 1970s/early 1980s, and printed by Cambrian Printers, Aberystwyth. The following is material gleaned from the book, and reproduced here by kind permission of the Directors of Cambrian Printers, Aberystwyth:
A school, known as the Grammar School (above), was opened in Aberystwyth in November 1813. It was built at what is now the junction of Vulcan Street and St Michael's Place, and where the Castle Theatre (formerly St Michael's Church's Parish Hall) now stands. The school did not thrive and was closed in 1835-36.
Aberystwyth's leading school in the mid-19th century was run by an Edward Jones, a first class honours graduate of London University. At first his school was held in Jasper House, upper Great Darkgate Street. In the early-mid 1860s he moved his school to the old grammar school building and stayed there until 1892. Science was taught there by Edward Jones, while his assistant handled the classical and modern side.
Many of Edward Jones' former pupils occupied important positions in the Church, in medicine, and in financial institutions. Pupils had attended the school from all over Britain, even from India and America. Boarders were accommodated at Edward Jones' own home, Jasper House.
It is therefore quite possible (even probable) that William Henry Michell attended this school.
Isaac and George Lloyd
A. W Miller, 9 Pier Street
My great uncle Tom Jenkins was born above this shop
Lion Royal Hotel at Christmas
R. Fear's Christmas poultry on display
Hostel for women students
The Great Storm of 1938
(Montgomeryshire Express and Radnorshire Times
22nd January 1938)
Great damage was caused to property on the Welsh coast by the gale which swept the country at the weekend.Part of a sea wall was swept away at Aberystwyth and the end of a pier was destroyed. At the village of Tan y Bwlch close by, a cottage was demolished, and a woman of eighty years and her two daughters were buried beneath the debris. They were removed to hospital.
GREAT WEEK-END STORM
EXTENSIVE DAMAGE AT ABERYSTWYTH
MOTHER AND DAUGHTER ORDEAL
The gale drove the sea across the Promenade on Saturday and by daybreak, one eighth of a mile of the sea wall and roadway had been washed away, leaving the foundations of the houses exposed. Several houses were flooded and doors, windows badly damaged.
The lower part of the sea wall at Penhelig, Aberdovey, was smashed in. Heavy iron cannon outside the Aberdovey Institute were hurled aside and many boats were wrecked and seats on the promenade were smashed.
Rivers in Mid-Wales were in high flood and roads were under water. Telegraph poles and wires were blown down and there was serious disorganisation of the telephone and telegraph services.
There was extensive damage to railway sections below Dovey Junction, near Borth and Gogarth. Sections of the railway cutting at Machynlleth in the Aberystwyth and Aberdovey directions had to be conveyed by road.
Dovey Junction was an island, the main road, near Glandovey, being several feet awash. Officials of the G.W.R. Central Wales Division at Oswestry inspected the damage, break-down gangs were put to work, and by Monday traffic was running normally.
The flood also covered the Dovey Bridge road, and a twelve mile detour road to Cemmaes Road was necessary to reach Aberdovey and Dolgelley.
There was also considerable damage in the Barmouth and Dolgelley districts, and railway passengers had to be conveyed by road. Thirty yards of wall on Barmouth promenade were damaged, and several houses and shops were flooded.
Towyn and Harlech were among other well-known Merioneth resorts to suffer from the storm.
Although a fierce gale blew inland, no great damage is reported in Mid-Wales and the Border Counties generally.
The Rev. D. Peifigar Davies, of Pantperthog, while driving his car on Sunday night, was caught by the flood water on the Dovey Bridge road, near Machynlleth, and had to abandon his vehicle.
Trainees from the Ministry of Labour training camp at Esgairgeiliog had narrow escapes from drowning when trying to get through on bicycles. The strong current threw them into the water and it was with difficulty that they reached safety.
Aberystwyth experienced the full force of the storm in the early hours of Saturday morning and damage estimated at between £30,000 and £50,000 was done to the promenade and houses in the vicinity. The velocity of the wind was estimated at 90 miles an hour and drove the tide to a tremendous height. Houses along the front were innundated, and many people, caught in their beds, had narrow escapes from drowning.
An aged mother, Mrs Linett, and her two daughters living in a lonely cottage, Rowfawr, Tanybwlch, had a terrifying ordeal
The cottage stands near the river, which enters Abersytwyth Harbour a short distance away, and on the other side is the sea. Mrs Linnet was washed from the cottage to the riverbank and was only prevented from falling into a raging torrent by a table, which had been caught in the bank and had acted as a shield.
The alarm was given and a rescue party, on arrival, found the other two women buried upto their necks. Both were conscious and one asked where their mother was.
This led to a search in the half-darkness for the mother, who was not found for some minutes, and was discovered as stated lying on the river bank. She had sustained a broken leg and other injuries. The three women were removed to Aberystwyth Hospital, where they are progressing favourably.
A relief fund for the benefit of the many who have sustained serious losses by the disaster has been opened by the Mayor and an appeal for funds is to be made on the wireless from the Welsh Regional Station tomorrow (Sunday) evening, by the Mayor.
Aberystwyth F.C. mentioned in:
The Story of Welsh Football
by Phil Stead
is a must buy book
for any Welsh football enthusiast.