This section deals with the history around Penmon, Llangoed, Beaumaris and Anglesey from earliest times. Read about how the area changed with various developments.
 BLOG; CLICK HERE TO SEE THE LATEST UPDATES ON www.penmon.org

 

Other BEAUMARIS links
on this site

BULKELEYS of BARON HILL 
Read about the Bulkeley family
and find out who worked there during the census years
     

SOME BEAUMARIS FAMILIES
Many Beaumaris families have links with Penmon. Read about them here.

BEAUMARIS PAST
People share their family memories of the town.


1923 BEAUMARIS POLLING DISTRICT
 Details of those who are listed in the electoral roll 


BEAUMARIS CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
 Details of some people who attended the Court and Gaol 

THE GREAT WAR 1914/18
IN MEMORIAM

Would you like to record details of a relative
who served King and Country in The Great War?
If so, please click here.

DATE

EVENTS ARE IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER.
COLOUR CODING OF PLACES;
Beaumaris            Penmon       
Llangoed
National                 Anglesey      Others
Topics appear in bold print and can be followed on by the '(see .....)' references.


EARLIER INFORMATION TO FOLLOW
Glacial times Anglesey; Anglesey became an island when the relative levels of land and sea changed by about 60 feet, and one of Anglesey's many parallel river valleys flooded, forming the Menai Strait.
7000 BC Anglesey; The first people walked across the exposed central corridor of dry land that lay between two deep river-cut valleys. Traversed low-lying coastal areas to set up temporary encampments in accordance with the seasons. (see 3000 BC)
3000 BC Old Stone Age Europe; A movement of peoples in Europe gave rise to new patterns of settlement. With the development of farming, these migrators stabilised into settled communities with a degree of social organisation. (see 2500BC)
2500 BC Anglesey; Paleolithic farmers arrive on the Island. Megalithic tombs or cromlechs are evident of their existence. (see 500BC)
2000 BC Anglesey;  The population was overcome by a fresh wave of immigration. This consisted of the Goidels, a fair haired, grey eyed, round headed, and a more powerfully built people who introduced the Goidelic tongue - Gaelic, Irish, Manx, who manufactured weapons and implements of bronze. They began to desert their primitive cave dwellings of their forefathers for crude huts. Their settlements were grouped into small villages on hill slopes or set in lonely isolation upon some lofty sea cliff.
500 BC Anglesey; The Celts arrive in Britain, bringing with them the knowledge of using iron. Artefacts found at Valley in AD 1942, included ornaments, tools, a large number of animal bones, swords, spear heads, parts of chariots and harnesses (indicating warfare). These suggest that Anglesey was a place of refuge for people from another part of Britain. (see AD60)
Bronze Age Anglesey; Stone circles and standing stones give evidence to the arrival of Beaker people.
AD 60 Anglesey; Anglesey was the centre of Druidic administration and it was important to the Roman conquest to overcome them.
Tacitus the Roman historian had said that it became necessary to attack the Island of Anglesey, which was feeding the native resistance to the Romans. He later wrote:
"Ranks of warriors lined the Anglesey shore, urged on by their women, shrieking like furies, dressed in burial black, while Druids, with arms outstretched to heaven, cursed the invaders."
The Romans slaughtered the Druids and won victory but were soon drawn South to quell a revolt by the Celtic Queen of Iceni, Boudicca. (see AD61)
AD 61 Anglesey; The Druidical power was all but destroyed by the Romans, under Suetonius Paulinus. who crossed the Strait in flat bottomed boats. (see AD76)
AD 76 Anglesey; The island was again subdued by Julius Agricola, but soon deserted by the Romans. (see AD78)
AD 78 Anglesey; Roman Julius Agricola overcame the Iberian stock of Ordovices tribes of Brythonic Celts who ruled Anglesey. Agricola fought and beat the tribes of north Wales in a fierce mountainous battle. He passed over the Menai Strait into Mona to complete the subjection which Suetonius Paulinus eighteen years previously had only partly completed.
450 Anglesey; Like much of Anglesey, the area surrounding Holyhead has been inhabited for thousands of years. The town itself dates from 450 AD when King Caswallon defeated Serigi, an Irish chieftain and his Irish invaders on Holy Island.
6th Century Penmon Priory; The religious settlement of Penmon was founded by Maelgwn Gwynedd, who installed his cousin Seiriol as the head of the college of monks. (see 6th Century)
6th Century Penmon; The devotees of the college would have lived in huts or small dwellings grouped around the sanctuary, and it would not be until the 12th century, that monastic buildings were erected there. (see 1098)
540 Puffin Island; Saint Seiriol landed here and built his sanctuary. It is said he received the island from his brother, Einion Frenhin. Puffin Island has also been known as Ynys Seiriol, Ynys Glanawg, Priestholme, Glanawg's Island, Ynys Lenach, Ynys Y Llygod. (see 632)
632 Puffin Island; The Northumbrian King Edwin, in his attack on Mona, cornered the Welsh Chieftain Cadwallon ap Cadfan, great great grandson of Maelgwn Gwynedd in the island and blockaded him there. (see 8th & 9th Centuries)
8th & 9th Century Britain; The 8th and 9th centuries brought Viking raids to Britain. (see 968)
c 810 Llanfaes; After the Battle of Llanfaes, Anglesey lay for a while under the heal of the Saxons, but was soon afterwards freed by Merfyn Frych, who was King of the Isle of Man. (see c 1043)
818 Llanfaes; Egbert who ruled Wessex invaded North Wales and Anglesey. (see 968)
819 Llanfaes; Saxon Egbert fought a great battle at Llanfaes in which he defeated the Welsh. The field of battle lay between the Llanfaes village and the ancient tower of Tre'r Castell, once famous for its inexhaustible mead cellar. (see c810)
844 - 877 Aberffraw; Rhodri Mawr had his seat at Aberffraw. He had inherited the succession derived from Maelgwn Gwynedd from his grandmother. (see 855)
Royal Arms of Aberffraw
855 Penmon; Anglesey was ravaged by the Black Gentiles (Norwegians) and later raids targeted Holyhead, Aberffraw and Penmon. In time raids were tempered by trading and alliances were formed with the Vikings of Dublin and the Isle of Man. (see 968)
962 Anglesey; Edgar, who succeeded Alfred the Great as King of the Anglo Saxons, came to North Wales and tried to colonise Anglesey
966 Aberffraw; The Irish and Danes were utterly destroyed, and Aberffraw was razed to the ground. (see 968)
968 Aberffraw; The Royal Court at Aberffraw was attacked by Vikings. Maelgwn was King of Gwynedd and probably had his seat here. (see 992)
968 Penmon; Macht ap Harold came to Anglesey and devastated Penmon, which before was the fairest spot in all the Isle of Mona. (see 969)
969 Penmon; Gotffrid ap Harold came and laid Penmon waste. King Edgar gave permission to Gotffrid's men to abide in Anglesey and united themselves into one tyranny with the men of Edwin. They never departed, nor ever after that could treachery be eradicated from the island. (see 1098)
992 Anglesey; Danes invaded the island and Idwal perished in the conflict. (see1090)
c 1043 Llanfaes; Tre'r Castell near Llanfaes was occupied by Sir Tudur ap Gronw ap Tudur Fychan in the Royal House of North Wales, during the time of Edward I. (see c1230)
1090 Anglesey;  The Normans arrived on Anglesey, under the leadership of Hugh of Avranches, Earl of Chester.
1090 Aber Lleiniog;  A timber built Aber Lleiniog Castle (Castell Aber Llienawg), was built by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester. It stood on the left of the Lleiniog stream, about two miles south west of Penmon where the stream enters the Menai Straits. (see 1094)Communication with the shore was made by means of a sunken way, which has now disappeared. A low mound, situated on the north side of the mouth of the stream, may have been the site of an outwork intended to guard the landing.
1094 Aber Lleiniog; Aber Lleiniog Castle was besieged by the Welsh, under the leadership of Gruffydd ap Cynan, but retaken later. Earl of Chester and Hugh the Proud, Earl of Shrewsbury encamped at Castle. (see c1095)
c 1095 Aber Lleiniog; Aber Lleiniog Castle was attacked by Magnus, King of Norway, when Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester and Hugh the Proud, Earl of Shrewsbury were encamped there. During the fierce battle one of Magnus' bowmen shot Hugh of Shrewsbury in the eye, whereupon Magnus, seeing him in his death agony, cried "Liet loup! Let him dance! A punishment merited for the cruelties committed by him on the poor inhabitants." (see middle ages)
1098 Penmon; Prisoners taken by the Earl of Chester and Hugh the Proud, Earl of Shrewsbury, when they suppressed the insurrection of the Welsh in Anglesey were executed. Cae Grogi, or Marian Crogwydd, a field situated about three quarters of a mile westward from Penmon Priory, is believed to be the site of the executions, and two holes sunk in the limestone rock, still visible until recently, were the slots made to hold the gallows. (see 12th Century)
< />
12th Century Puffin Island; Island known as Ynys Lenach, or Priest's Island, because many bodies of saints are deposited there, and no woman is suffered to enter it. (see 12th Century)
12th Century Puffin Island; A historian of the time wrote " There is a small island almost adjoining to Anglesey, which is inhabited by hermits, living by manual labour and serving God. When discord arises among them, all their provisions are devoured and infected by a species of small mice, with which the island abounds, but when the discord ceases, they are no longer molested. (see 1238)
12th Century Penmon; Prince Gwen Gwynedd re-founded Penmon as an Augustinian Priory. (see 1283)
1100 Anglesey; The earliest surviving stone churches on Anglesey date from this time, many churches being built in the Romanesque style.
1142 Aber Menai; Cadwaladr ap Gruffydd ap Cynan landed here with an army of Irish and Scots mercenaries to attack his brother Owain Gwynedd. Cadwaladr was defeated and peace was declared by the brothers.
Aber Menai
13th Century Menai Bridge; The earliest recorded ferry crossing the Menai Strait from Bangor was that of Porth Esgob, the 'Bishop's Crossing', which up to the middle of the 19th century, plied between Gored-y-Gyt, below Upper Bangor and Cadnant Creek, and between Garth and Gallows Point. (see 1684)
13th Century Menai Bridge; The Old Horse Ferry here dates back to this time. It was originally shared between the crown and the town. (see 1502)
c1230 Llanfaes; Monastery at Llanfaes founded by Llywelyn the Great, when he introduced a brotherhood of the Franciscan order of friars to Anglesey. (see 1254)
1237 Llanfaes; Joan, Llywelyn the Great's wife died, and Llanfaes Priory erected over her grave. The site is now marked by the large private house of "Friars", situated near the shore of Friars Bay. (see 1240)
1240 Conway; Llywelyn the Great, dies and is buried at the Cistercian Monastery at Conway
1254 Llanfaes; The town had become quite sizeable, with a port and ferry service. Boats from here were trading with Liverpool. (see 1300s)
1276-1279 Aberffraw; The conflict between King Edward I and the Princes of Aberffraw reached its culmination in a war. Edward sent a fleet to blockade the corn supply to Anglesey, seizing the harvest for his own use.Llywelyn ap Gruffydd's  (the Last) fortune was in decline. (see Aug 1282)
Aug 1282 Anglesey; Edward I sent an army from Rhuddlan to Anglesey to commandeer the harvest. Once taken, a bridge of boats was built across the straits to launch a 2-sided attack on Snowdonia.(see Nov 1282)
Nov 1282 Anglesey; Through lack of coordination, the English forces were caught out on the bridge and routed by the Welsh, led by Llywelyn. (see Dec 1282)
Dec 1282 Cilmeri; Prince Llywelyn is tragically killed at Cilmeri, Powys. Welsh resistance ended. (see 1283)
1283 Penmon; Prince Llywelyn is mentioned in the Charter of Inspeximus of Edward I    "confirming to the Canons of the Isle of Glannach the donation of the Lord Llywelyn concerning the land of Penmon. Dated at Kemeys (Cemmaes) on the first Sunday of Lent in the year of the Incarnation of Our Lord 1283". (see 1293)
1283 Puffin Island; The earliest known charter, that of Edward I refers to the Canons of Glanawg's (Glannauch) Island. (see middle ages)
1283 Llanfaes; Roger de Puleson was sheriff of the new shire of Anglesey and given charge of the manor of Llanfaes. (see 1293)
August 1283 Llanfaes; King Edward I spent a week here. (see 1294)
c 1285 Caernarfon; Caernarfon Castle built. (see 1294)
1294 Caernarfon; Caernarfon Castle taken by Welsh rebels led by Madog ap Llywelyn. As they revolted against their enlistment for service in Gascony. Many casualties were inflicted on the English and the sheriff of Anglesey, Roger de Puleson, who was hanged. (see 1294)
1294-95 Llanfaes; Following the Welsh revolt, a critical campaign this winter, English power was re-asserted immediately, by the eviction of the whole Welsh population of Llanfaes, to commence work on the castle in Beaumaris (see April 1295)
1295 Newborough; The Welsh people from Llanfaes were moved here to establish a new settlement. (see April 1295)
April 1295 Beaumaris; Edward I builds the last of his great stone castles in Wales. It was partly finished in three years at a cost of £11,000. Never completed as the money ran out. Its direction was in the hands of Master James of St George. (see 1306)
15th Sept 1296 Beaumaris; The first stage of the development of the town was the granting of a foundation charter to Beaumaris. English settlers were enticed to move here by privileges, which included rent-free land for the first 10 years. (see 1296)
1296 Menai Straits; One of the oldest ferries on the Strait is recorded as The Aber Menai. It plied from a place known as Abermeney, later called Southcrook, on the southern extremity of the island. (see 1710)
1296 Beaumaris; Population was 90. (see 1563)
1300s Llanfaes; It became a place of considerable importance. Edward I chose this and the neighbouring shore as the most suitable place on Anglesey to establish a base . (see 1303)
1300s Amlwch; Cannons were mostly made of iron at first cast and later wrought. (see 1520)
1303 Llanfaes; The inhabitants of Llanfaes (see c1405) were removed en bloc to Rhosyr, which thereafter took the name of Newborough, to further the development of Beaumaris. (see 1305)
1305 Beaumaris; The 132.25 burgage tenements listed in a survey, make Beaumaris the largest of the North Wales boroughs founded in and after 1278. (see 1410)
1305 Beaumaris; The greater part of North Wales commerce was concentrated here, and distributed by coastal shipping to the other boroughs to be sold in their fairs and markets. (see 1323)
1306 Beaumaris; A survey was taken of the castle.  (see 1306)
1306 Beaumaris;  A constable went on a 40 day visit to London to buy armour and other supplies for the castle garrison, as there was a fear that the Scots would make common cause with the Welsh, and effect a landing on the North Wales coast.   (see 1306)
1306 Penmon; A mason named William de Kyrkebi was paid 3s 6d for shaping 180 round stones at Penmon Quarry 'for the prince's engines at the (Beaumaris) castle' (see 1312-1315)
1312-1315 Beaumaris; 10.5 perches of the castle moat were completed (see 1330s)
1317 Aberffraw; The palace here was demolished. Its timbers were used in the repairs and improvements at Caernarfon Castle.
1323    Beaumaris; 160 gallons of Spanish honey was bought for the Beaumaris garrison, and salt, corn, beans, hides, cloth, goat and calf skins are among the commodities traded.
1330s Beaumaris; Building of the castle ceased, and the inner towers of the great ward were without their top storeys. Building cost since 1295 was £14,500 (equal to £8 million in 1980). (see 1343)
1343 Beaumaris; A survey reported that 30 perches of the castle walls as being 'partly ruinous'. (see 1402)
1349 Beaumaris; The Plague kills Beaumaris fishermen as it sweeps through Anglesey.
1349 Llanfaes; Many monks of the Franciscan order died of The Plague, having administered the last rights to those dying of the Black Death. (see 1414)
1400 Anglesey; Henry V led an army into Anglesey during the rebellion of Owain Glyndwr (see 1403). Llanfaes friars were known to support Owain, and the King partially destroyed Llanfaes Friary and caused the friars to be dispersed. (see c1405)
1400 Beaumaris; Timber framed houses built in Castle Street (see 1410)
1402 Beaumaris; Some old lead tanks were melted down to provide castle roofing for the new tower in the Outer Ward. (see 1440)
1403 Beaumaris; The castle fell to the Welsh rebels of Owain Glyndwr (see c 1405)
c 1405 Llanfaes; After final destruction of Llanfaes Friary a great stone coffin was found, the heavy lid carved with a representation of the tragic Princess Joan, wife of Llywelyn the Great. The coffin was removed to the grounds of Baron Hill, the 17th Century mansion of the Bulkeley family. It is now preserved in the parish church of St Mary at Beaumaris. (see c1474)

1405 Beaumaris; Castle regained from the Welsh. (see 1410)
1407 Beaumaris; Burgesses granted £10 towards the cost of circling the town with a bank and ditch. (see 1408-09)
1408-1409 Beaumaris; The need for a town wall to enclose and protect the town is shown by a record explaining that there were 10.5 burgages for which no rent could be collected, because they had been destroyed by fire, not only by the Welsh rebels under Glyndwr, but also by the Scots. (see 1410)
1410 Beaumaris; It became a walled town with three gates. (see 1414)

1414 Beaumaris; Henry V granted a new charter to Llanfaes, and the monastery was rebuilt. (see 1536)
1414 Beaumaris; A record held implies that 30 burgages have been requisitioned to make way for the town wall, so that customary rent could no longer be obtained for them. It is clear that the wall was provided with battlements and garderobes, and that there were passages in it. (see 1414)
1414 Beaumaris; Ten burgages are recorded as being submerged by the sea.   (see 1460)
1425 Menai Straits; The first passenger ferry service, The Foel Ferry, between Caernarfon and Anglesey was inaugurated. (see 1503)
1440 Beaumaris; A Bulkeley was constable of the castle (see 1534)
1444 Beaumaris; William Bulkeley moved here from Cheadle in Cheshire. Already a wealthy man, he married into a local landowning family. (see 1490)
1460 Beaumaris; The town wall is described as being completely broken by the waves. (see 1536 - 1540)
c 1472 Beaumaris; Original Old Bull's Head Inn reputed to have been built. (see c 1700)
c 1474 Beaumaris; William Bulkeley built Hen Blas, a medieval mansion. It became their family home until Baron Hill was built. (see 1618)
c 1480 Beaumaris; Beaumaris alone of the great boroughs of the north, developed into a major centre of commerce, for it was convenient, sheltered, and less liable to attack by the pirates who infested the Irish Sea. (see 1610)
1490 Beaumaris; William Bulkeley died, leaving £20 in his will for a tomb for him and his wife.
1502 Menai Bridge; The Old Horse Ferry, originating from the 13th Century became the property of the crown. (see c1530)
1503 Menai Straits; In Caernarfon Bailiff's account, The Foel Ferry is called "the passage of the water of Seynt called Tallevoil", the ferry being leased to private individuals. (see 1832)
1520 Amlwch; Emphasis for cannons to made out of bronze (see c 1670)
c 1530 Menai Bridge; During the time of Henry VIII, the Old Horse Ferry passed from the crown to private management. (see 1819)
1534 Beaumaris; The castle was gradually deteriorating. "There was scarcely a single chamber in Beaumaris Castle where a man could lie dry"   (see 1538)
1536 Llanfaes; Llanfaes Monastery fell in the "Dissolution". (see 1536 - 1539)
1536-1539 Beaumaris; After the dissolution of the monasteries, the transfer of lands greatly benefited the holdings of existing large scale and local landowners such as the Bulkeleys. (see Middle Ages)
1536-1540 Beaumaris; Rebuilding of the town wall undertaken.  (see 1646)
1538 Beaumaris; All four North Wales castles (including Harlech, Caernarfon and Conway) were reported as "much ruinous and ferre in decay for lacke of timely reparacons". (see 1539)
5th April 1539 Beaumaris; Sir Richard Bulkeley wrote to the King's secretary Thomas Cromwell that "The royal castles of North Wales are unfurnished and have neither guns nor powder, nor other artillery, apart from eight or ten small pieces in Bewmares possessed by the writer. Has provided three barrels of gunpowder, some shot, forty bows, and forty sheaves of arrows, with as many coats of fence and sallets and splinters, at his own cost; this is inadequate for such a fortress. Conwey, Carn, and Hardlach castles have nothing in them to defend them for one hour. If enemies secure them "hit wold cost his majestie a hundreth thowsand of his pounds and the losse of mayny a man affor' they shuld be gotten again". Anglesey is but a night's sailing from Scotland….. beseeches a couple of gunners and some good ordnance and powder to defend the King's house in Biwmares"".   (see 1609)

Harlech Castle
1553 Beaumaris; Edward VI dies and the reformers in Wales as elsewhere tried unsuccessfully to continue the new faith by making Lady Jane Grey queen. She was proclaimed queen in the town on one day, but Mary was proclaimed there on the very next day.
1562 Beaumaris; The borough was entitled to return its own Member of Parliament. The Bulkeleys gave the 'seat' to one of its family or to nominee prepared to vote as instructed.
1563 Beaumaris; Population was 555 with 111 households. 9 shops in the town, and Beaumaris had merchants operating in Spain. Exports included farm produce, millstones and slates from Caernarfon. (see 1801)
1576 Penmynydd; Plas Penmynydd built.
c 1577 Beaumaris; Piracy was rife. Bardsey Island was as much the haunt of pirates as it had once been of saints. At Beaumaris, Sir Richard Bulkeley was not above giving his support to Hugh Griffith, a native of Cefn Amlwch in Llyn and perhaps the most cruel sea-robber of them all. Sir Richard Bulkeley's younger brother Edward turned pirate, met his death on the pirate infested Barbary coast of north Africa.
1579 Trysclwyn; A Mr Medley opened a "greate mineral worke at Anglesey" from which he obtained "mineral water that made alome and copperas, and transmuted iron into copper". Trysclwyn was much later named Parys Mountain. (see 1698)
1582 Beaumaris; The Victory, a Beaumaris ship, sailed to Newfoundland and Portugal, bringing back salt, soap and barley malt.
Middle Ages Puffin Island; The island's monks used to carry about with them images of St Seiriol, and would perhaps exchange an image of the Saint with nine cheeses in his arms, for wool or flour. The image was supposed to bring the farmer prosperity.
Middle Ages Aber Lleiniog; A stone fort replaced the timber one dating from 1090 was built. It consisted of a simple four-sided plan and round towers at the angles. (see 1642)
1592 Holyhead; William Davies and four others seized when on their way to Valladolid from to Ireland. He was moved from prison to prison for twelve months, openly declaring his Catholic faith and refusing every opportunity to recant and escape, by his captors. (see 1593)
27.07.1593 Beaumaris; William Davies was hanged, drawn and quartered watched by a sorrowing crowd. He was the only seminary priest executed in Wales in Elizabeth Ist's reign. (see 1929).
1603 Beaumaris; Grammar School founded under the will of David Hughes. (see1834)
1607 Beaumaris; The town was well nigh depopulated by the plague.
1609 Beaumaris; Parts of Harlech and Caernarfon castles were still usable, but Beaumaris and Conway castles were officially classed as "utterlie decayed". Thomas Viscount Bulkeley was alleged to have spent £3,000 in repairing the castle in aid of Charles I early in the Civil War.   (see 1643)
1610 Beaumaris; Town map appeared on John Speed's Map of Anglesey. The town had 2 Inns, The Bull's Head and the George & Dragon, as resting places for road travellers to Ireland. Outside the town walls were a windmill and two water mills. (see 1775)
1617 Beaumaris; Old Bull's Head rebuilt and was the original post house for travellers during their tiring journey to and from Ireland. (see 1624)
1618 Beamaris; Baron Hill originally built. (see 1776)
1624 Beaumaris;  Rowland ap Robert, the town's Postmaster requested guide posts be sunk on Lavan Sands to assist with hazardous crossing to the Welsh mainland when the tide was out. Passage was only possible some three or four hours out of every twelve. He was concerned about the Royal mail. He wrote "when sudden mistes and fogs doe fall, for the danger is very great upon the sandes that ye Kinges packets and subjects are like to perishe". (see c1635)
c 1635 Beaumaris; The town became a vital link in communication between London and Dublin ever since the public postal system had been established during the reign of Charles I in 1635.  (see 1685) The Beaumaris postmaster, Randolph Evans, was responsible for conveying the mail between Conway and Holyhead. He received an annual salary of £60. (see 1685)
1642 Aber Lleiniog; During the Civil War, Aber Lleiniog Castle was garrisoned and held by Sir Thomas Cheadle. (see 1645)
1643 Beaumaris; Thomas Bulkeley, who later became Lord Bulkeley was appointed Constable of the Castle. (see 1643)
1643 Beaumaris; Both Conway and Beaumaris castles occupied key positions in the transit of men and materials from Ireland to the King. (see 1646)
1645 Aber Lleiniog; The castle here was surrendered to Colonel Robinson. It was knwon as Lady Cheadle's Fort. (see 1646)
1646 Aber Lleiniog; Lady Cheadle's Fort was dismantled.
14h June 1646 Beaumaris; For the town, the eventual victory of the parliament culminated with the surrender of the castle by Co. Richard Bulkeley to General Thomas Mytton, ' Beaumaris being a place that hath been a very great use to the King. The Castle surrendered to Parliament and its active life was at an end. (see 1646) 
25th June 1646 Beaumaris; Story relating to the taking of the castle. "Among those who fought for King Charles at St Mary's field was a yeoman of the name of Howell, of Wern, Llanddona. This hero, when he found that the Royalists party was routed and had fled refuge to Beaumaris Castle, retired stealthily to the beach of that town, under the green, and having turned one boat on top of another over himself, he fired from his hiding place on the besiegers, who were on the Green, until his ammunition was all spent. He then crept from between the boats, reached the Friars unobserved, where a servant was waiting for him with a horse, which he mounted, and rode home with all speed. However, by the time he was on part of his own land, called Mynydd y Wern, he was surrounded by a party of the Parliamentarians, who were determined to take him prisoner; seeing which, he urged his horse over a precipice and was killed on the spot, under the brow of a rock called to this day, Craig Howell. The horse and its rider were buried together, and over the grave a little mound of stones was raised, which, until within the memory of a late tenant of Wern, was whitewashed occasionally by the descendants of the loyalist hero." (see 1648)
1648 Beaumaris; A short lived revolt led Anglesey to a second surrender of Beaumaris to Mytton, and a fine of £7,000 levied on the Island for its contumacy. Constableship of the castle conferred to Major General John Jones, a near relative by marriage of Oliver Cronwell, with an old Ironside officer named Captain Wray, his deputy. (see 1650s)
1650 Beaumaris; Colonel Richard Bulkeley, who had defended the castle for the King, was killed, fighting a duel on the Lavan Sands. The duel was fought to avenge his father whom he bellieved had been poisoned by his stepfather, Thomas Cheadle.
1653 Beaumaris; Thomas Cheadle was hanged in Conway for the murder of Co. Richard Bulkeley.
1660 Beaumaris; Castle being dismantled at the time of the Restoration. Medieval courtyard buildings removed and the unroofing of the hall in the North Gatehouse. (see1665)
1665 Conway; Lord Conway's agent, supervising the dismantling of Conway Castle wrote about the diffficulties and dangers encountered in taking down the lead roofs there."I feare I can have no workman here that knowethe how to doe it, but I here there is one at Bewmares that hath taken downe one or two Castels alredye, and tomorrow I doe intend to gett him". (see1807)
c 1670 Amlwch; Copper mining industry, previously a royal monopoly, was opened up to private competition. (see 1700s) 
1675 Beaumaris; In Ogilby's road map in his Britannia book, he states 'If the tide be in (at Lavan SDands) you are obliged to go by Bangor (to Holyhead)'. (see 1805) 
1684 Beaumaris; Landing point for the corporation ferry from Lavan Sands moved from the Green at the town to the Point. (see c 1795)
1685 Beaumaris; The Beaumaris postmaster, Randolph Evans, was responsible for conveying the mail between Conway and Holyhead. He received an annual salary of £60. (see 1718)
1698 Trysclwyn; Mention is again made of a mine here, called Prince's Mine. The vast riches that lay below surface were undreamed of in those days. (see 1764)
c 1700 Beaumaris; The Liverpool Arms was built.
1700s Amlwch; The copper boom was set to erupt due to the increased use of the metal in coins, and househol items in addition to military requirements. (see c 1760)
Copper as a mineral
1710 Menai Straits; The Aber Menai Ferry was leased by the Lords Bulkeley to 1828 (see 02.12.1785)
1718 Beaumaris; The Lavan Sands crossing was abandoned by the postal authorities in favour of the Porthaethwy Ferry near Bangor. (see 1812)
1727 Beaumaris; A gaol was built on the Green on part of the site now occupied by Victoria Terrace. It housed those who broke the law in the borough and the whole of the Island. (see 1829)
1748 Beaumaris; Lewis Morris described the town ' as a place of good trade formerly, and might still be so if the inhabitants pursued it. (see 1775) 
c 1760 Parys Mountain; Copper mining at Parys Mountain was at its peak, lastying for 60 to 70 years. (see 1764)  
1763 Liverpool; In order to supply shipping information as quickly as possible, a semaphore Signal House was set up at Bidston Hill. Flagpoles were set up to fly house flags of those ships sighted. (see 1827) 
1764 Parys Mountain; A Macclesfield manufacturer, Charles Roe, set up a partnership, agreeing to lease the mine workings together with a mine at Penrhyn Du in Lleyn, little knowing that in a few years the foreman of the latter mine, Jonathan Roose was to make the discovery of the century. (see 1768) 
1764 Parys Mountain; Sir Nicholas Bayly introduced a mining firm into Anglesey. Copper was being supplied into naval warfare, plating ship's hulls below the waterline and copper bolts to secure the plating. Initially, little activity took place. (see 1768) 
c1764

Beaumaris; There was a considerable ship building industry here. Vessels were chiefly used in the copper and slate trade, for both Parys Mountain and Penrhyn Slate quarry near Bethesda. (see 1786)

Postcard image courtesy of Sharon Hogan's postcard collection.

02.03.1768 Parys Mountain; An exceptionally rich seam of copper was discovered. Jonathan Roose was sent for from Penrhyn. He offered a prize of a bottle of brandy for the first man to strike the ore. The lucky prize winner was one Roland Pugh,who was also granted a cottage rent free for life,  and enjoyed the honour of being 'chaired' at the annual celebration of the great discovery. (see 1775)
1775 Parys Mountain; Bayly's (see 1764) neighbours started mining on the mountain. (see 1778)
1775 Beaumaris; A writer believed that the town had no appetite for commerce, but 'agriculture employs their chief attention. It consists of two or three good streets, better built than the greatest number of Welsh towns'. (see c1790)
1776 Menai Straits; A Mr Golbornr made the earliest suggestion of a method of bridging the Straits, and consisted of an embankment with a bridge at the centre. (see 1785)
1776 - 1779 Beaumaris; Baron Hill completely altered under architect Samuel Wyatt. (see 1821)
1778 Parys Mountain; Parys Mining Company was formed by Bayly's neighbours. (see 1778)
1778 Parys Mountain; Thomas Pennant in his tour of Wales, described the mines in operation as impressive. He said it was ' the most considerable body of copper ore perhaps ever known'. 'Suffocating fumes issue from the burniing heaps of copper, and extend their baleful influence for miles around. In the adjacent parts, vegetastion is nearly destroyed, and even the mosses and lichens of the rocks have perished'. (see 1780)
  c 1780 Parys Mountain; Workers at Parys Mountain were paid in copper tokens. They were for a penny or half ppenny, and bore a druid's head on the obverse and the letters PMC on the reverse, and the date. (see 1785)
1785 Parys Mountain; Mona Mine Company was formed, and together with the Parys Mine Company, now became managed by an agent for both mines, Thomas Williams a Beaumaris solicitor. The mines were supplying the navies of Britain, France, Holland and Spain with copper bolts, nails and sheathing. (see 1787)
1785 Menai Strait; Another plan for bridging the Straits was proposed at Saint Alban's Tavarn. It was to be constructed of timber, with a swivel or drawbridge at the centre, and was planned to cross over to Ynys Geint, close northward of the village. The plan was rejected. (see 1828)
02.12.1785 Menai Strait; A tragedy occurred when the Abermenai Ferryboat capsized with a shipload of passengers homeward bound from Caernarfon market and fifty people were drowned. (see 1828)
1786 Beaumaris; The vessel Amlwch, 76 tons, was built. (see 1803)
1787 Parys Mountain; The peak output of four thousand tons of pure copper was reached. A fleet of forty vessels was engaged in the copper trade and the port of Amlwch was at its busiest. (see 1793)
Copper ladies at work

Copper ladies.
c 1790 Beaumaris; By the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, economic decay had set in. Beaumaris' slate trade was lost to Port Penrhyn and Caernarfon. Amlwch had adapted to meet the needs of the copper mines. Holyhead became the principal port for Irish treavellers. (see 1820s)
1790 Beaumaris; The town at this time, had only a mere handful of shops. (see 1830)
1793 Parys Mountain; The harbour at the port of Amlwch had to be enlarged to cope with the copper transportation demand. (see 1801)
1794 Llangoed; Calvinistic Chapel originally built. (see 1822)
c 1795 Beaumaris; The town was no longer on the main London - Holyhead road, via the corporation ferry at the adngerous Lavan Sands. The route led up Red Hill, through Hirdrefaig to Llangefni. (see 1808)
1801 Beaumaris; The town's population was 1576. (see 1851)
1801 Parys Mountain; With the death of mining agent Thomas Williams, accompanied by the decline in productivity the fame of Parys Mountain waned. (see 1815)
23 September 1801 Beaumaris; Richard Bulkeley was born.
1802 Menai Strait; Rennie submitted a plan for a stone and iron bridge across the Straits -  rejected. (see 1811)
1803 Beaumaris; The sloop 'Warren Bulkeley' 77 tons was built, which carried cargoes to Liverpool and London.
1804 Beaumaris; The Druid's Society was set up in the town This was a friendly society who gave support to its members at times of unexpected loss of earnings. (see 1816)
1805 Beaumaris; Lord Bulkeley constructed a new road through his land in order to provide a more direct line of communication to Bangor. It cost some £3,000. (see 1826)
1805 Beaumaris; Hurriedly built houses erected at Clay Pits, where many working class families lived in squalid housing. (see 19.04.1830)
1807 Beaumaris; Castle ruins were brought from the crown by the sixth Lord Bulkeley. (see 1832)
02.06.1808 Beaumaris; The North Wales Gazette advised visitors to take the Garth Ferry 'to Lord Bulkeley's road......hanging over the sea to Beaumaris' (see30.01.1826)
1811 Menai Strait; Telford submitted a plan for a bridge across the Strait, either at Swellie Rock, or Ynys y Moch, but the plans (see 1802) were rejected on the grounds that such a bridge would constitue an obstruction to navigation. (see 1818)
1812 - 1839 Beaumaris; A single sheet letter from the town to Bangor cost 4d, to Liverpool 9d and London 1/-. 1/- was the equivalent to a day's pay for a labouring man. (see1821)
1813 - 1830 Beaumaris; An average of 17% of the 10,801 deaths recorded in the town were infants under 12 months old, and almost 33% of all deaths were children under 5. (see 1911)
1815 Parys Mountain; Value of copper decreased with its demand, following the end of the Napoleonic Wars. The quantity of ore remained high. (see 1825)
Peal Engine House, Parys Mountain
Peal Engine House, Parys Mountain
1816 Beaumaris; The St David's Society was set up in the town This was a friendly society who gave support to its members at times of unexpected loss of earnings. (see 1816)
c 1816 Beaumaris; The Loyal Bulkeley Lodge of the Oddfellows Friendly Society set up in the town, a society who gave support to members at times of unexpected loss of earnings. (see1834)
1818 Beaumaris; There were no banks here, and people had to travel to Bangor if they needed banking services. Most people traded in cash. Anglesey Savings Bank opened, but its only function was to act as a safe repository with the aim of encouraging thrift among the working class. It was open on Saturdays. (see 1822)
1818 Menai Bridge; Telford's second design (see1811) for a bridge across the strait was submitted, with a main span of 580 feet to cross over at Ynys Moch at a height of 100 feet above high water level. This was approved . (see 1819) 
1819 Menai Bridge;. Work completed on the Menai Suspension Bridge. (see 30.01.1826)

1819 Menai Bridge; At the time of the building of the Menai Suspension Bridge, The Old Horse Ferry was the property of Miss Silence Williams, and compensation of £26,934 was paid for the loss of the dues, which then amounted to about £900 per annum.
1820's Beaumaris; The Staples family traded as grocers, drapers and tallow chandlers at Wexham Street. (see 1860) 
1821 Beaumaris; Almost a third of all the town's families depended on the land for their livelihood. Those working on the Baron Hill estate were paid 1/- a day. (see 1840)
1821 Postal; The Post Office started to operate its own steam service from Holyhead to Dublin, making the crossing in about half the time it had previously taken to cross. (see 1826)
1822 Llangoed; Calvinistic Chapel rebuilt. (see 1878)
1822 - 1827 Beaumaris; The Anglesey Savings Banks' profits increased threefold, but after a series of financial crises, during which several banks failed, the public lost confidence in the bank. )see 1856)
1825

Parys Mountain; The copper mining peak was almost at an end on Parys Mountain. (see 1850s) 

1826 Beaumaris; Edward Pugh in his Cambria Depicta, described the new road built in 1805, as 'doing away with the necessity of going by a circuitous route and at the same time avoids very great and tedious steeps'. (see 1827)
30.01.1826 Menai Bridge; The Menai Suspension Bridge (see 1938) was completed, and Beaumaris Ferry tolls started dwindling. (see 1.2.1830) 
1826

Beaumaris; A mail cart service was provided to Bangor, after the opening of Menai Bridge. (see 1833) 

1826

Beaumaris; The town market was moved from Castle street to Church Street. It traded on Wednesdays and Saturdays; (see 1842)

1827 Beaumaris; Lord Bulkeley's new road was most important to the town, but its condition had deteriorated considerably. (see 1828)
1827 Holyhead; The semaphore signalling system was extended from Liverpool and semaphore stations were erected at a number of points along the north Wales coast to Holyhead. (see 1841)
1828 Beaumaris; A turnpike trust was approved, following an application by local dignitaries to Parliament about the state of Lord Bulkeley's raod. The road was improved and widened from the revenue derived from the tolls levied on road users. (see 1828)
1828 Beaumaris; Income from the turnpike tolls were £193. (see 1880)
1828 Menai Straits; The Lords Bulkeley ceased leasing the Aber Menai ferryboat. (see 1849)
1829 Beaumaris; Old gaol built in 1727 had to be replaced as its condition had deteriorated and prisoners escaping were not uncommon. New gaol built at a cost of £6,500 on a piece of land at Clay Pits,  where a number of cottages, stables, cow-houses and an orchard once stood. A turnkey (gaoler) was employed for £52 with his wike as a matron. The old gaol was sold by auction for £284. (see 1858)
01.02.1830 Beaumaris; The Borough Council closed the Ferry's landing point. (see 1831)
1830 Beaumaris; The town now had over 40 shops. (see 1860)
19.04.1830 Beaumaris; TO BE LET UPON LEASE, for the term of Eighty Years, for the Purpose of Building several Valuable lots of GROUND, adjoining each other, Situate upon the much admired spot BEAUMARIS GREEN. (see 1831)
The Green
1831 Beaumaris; Women were harshly exploited, with domestic service being about the only occupation open to them. No fewer than 219 women were employed 'downstairs' in the mansions of the local gentry, in the villas of the well-to-do's, hotels and boarding houses.  
1831 Beaumaris; The Ferry was sold for 30/-. Local boatmen continued using it for herring fishing or for conveying cockle-pickers to and from Lvan Sands. (see 1842)
1831 Beaumaris; More houses built at Clay Pits. (see 1833)
17.08.1831 Penmon; 'Rothsay Castle' shipwrecked on the Dutcham's Bank. Twenty three survivors from 140. A pilot boat from Penmon saved six lives in two journeys. (see 1832)
Rothsay Castle
August 1832 Beaumaris; Royal Eisteddfod held at the inner ward of Beaumaris Castle, graced by the Duchess of Kent and her 13 year old daughter and future queen, the Princess Victoria. (see 1925)  
1832 Beaumaris; Cholera outbreak reached the town. Officials visited every house to inspect the health and cleanliness of its inhabitants. Dung heaps were regularly removed by the town refuse cart and ships suspectyed of having infected persons on board were refused permission to dock. Twenty eight died of cholera but it was hardly mentioned in local newspapers because of its likely detrimental effects on trade and tourism. (see 1849)i
1832 Penmon; Lifeboat station opened at Penmon by the Anglesey Lifesaving Association. Lifeboat painted externally in three white and four black horizontal stripes. (see 10.11.1832)
1832 Menai Strait; A rival to The Foel Ferry was started, called the Paul Pry, crossing over the Anglesy shore at Barras, near Trefarthen. (see 1849)
10.11.1832 Penmon; Lifeboat saves a brig, which was in difficulties in Red Wharf Bay. (see 03.03.1835)
1833 Beaumaris; Lewis's Topographical Dictionary describes the town market as 'abundantly supplied with corn and provisiona at very moderate prices'. (see 1840)
1833 Beaumaris; Victoria Terrace completed and leased to 'respectable tenants'  for £4 a year. (see 1848)
Victoria Terrace, Beaumaris
1833 Beaumaris; The Byrne family ran the Post Office until 1900. (see 29.01.1838)
1834 Beaumaris; Grammar School was rebuilt. (see 1835)
1834 National; The Poor Law Act was introduced. (see 1837)
03.03.1835 Penmon; Lifeboat puts 8 pilots on board vessels saving a crew of 10 from the barque 'William'. (see 22.10.1835)
22.10.1835 Penmon; Lifeboat saves a Faversham smack called 'Providence' and two brigs. (see 12.12.1836)
May 1836 Beaumaris; Baron Hill badly damaged by fire. (see 1838)
12.12.1836 Penmon; Lifeboat landed two men from the 'Pike' of Barmouth. (see 1837)
1837 Penmon; Penmon and Menai Lighthouse was built, situated on the northern extremity of Trwyn Du, in the sound between Penmon and Puffin Island. (see 15.02.1838)

1837 Beaumaris; The town, along with 14 other parishes in South Anglesey were grouped together with Bangor for the purpose of administering the Poor Law Act, introduced in 1834. (see 1841)
29.01.1838 Beaumaris; Because of illiteracy and the high cost of postage, the volume of mail handled was small. An average of only 43 letters were posted each day in the town. Those using the service, were mainly the Bulkeleys, the lesser gentry, clergy, lawyers and the Town Clerk. (see 10.01.1840)
15.02.1838 Penmon; Lifeboat helped a Waterford registered ship 'Liverpool'. (see 15.04.1838)
15.04.1838 Penmon; Lifeboat rescued 17 men from Liverpool based 'Scotia', aground on the Dutchman'd Bank. (see 29.11.1838)
1838 Beaumaris; Baron Hill fully restored after a fire in 1836. (see 1840)
29.11.1838 Penmon; Lifeboat saved crew of the 'Janet' of Amlwch who had gone ashore on Puffin Island after difficulties. (see 19.02.1943)
10.01.1840 National; Treasury agreed a postal rate of 1d, provided the postage was pre-paid. (see 1853)
1840 1d Black
1840 Beaumaris; Rhyl and Llandudno were beginning to compete with steam packet company cruises arriving at thei towns. Beaumaris needed a new pier, and a group of local businessmen led by Charles Bicknell started a scheme 'Landing Pier Company'. Work commenced on its construction, but it was abandoned as the money invested ran out. (see 1842)
1840 Beaumaris; Those working on the Baron Hill estate were paid 1/4d a day, 8/- a week.
1840 Beaumaris; Town market toll books show that an average of 13 butchers and 14 shoemakers, together with 31 miscellaneous vendors, traded there during an eight month period. (see 1842)
1841 Beaumaris; The Liverpool Arms - William Davies's family and commercial hotel. Good stabling and Lock up Coach Houses Posting House opposite the Hot and Cold Baths, Beaumaris. The hotel charged a visitor 6d for luch, 6d for his horses to be fed, whereas his servant's food and ale cost him 2/6.
February 1841 Beaumaris; Many earned a living oyster catching. The industry suffered a severe setback when exceptionally cold weather killed off the entire crop of oysters, from which it took several years to recover. (see 1842) 
1841 Beaumaris; The Beaumaris Board of Guardians petitioned the Poor Law Commissioners that 'many of the paupers were literally starving'. The Guardian's medical officer could be called upon in times of sickness. The aged and the helpless formed a large percentage of the town's paupers. They becam entirely dependant on private charity. Gifts of clothing, bedding and fuel were regularly provided by Lady Bulkeley's charity. (see 1845)
1841 Beaumaris; The Sherrif's Court sat at Beaumaris to decide the ownership of the Skerries lighthouse, which came under the ownership of Trinity House.
1841 Puffin Island; Having proved the efficiency and popularity of the semaphore system, a fourth station was established on the seaward slope of Mynydd Eilian, above Point Lynas and beyond this again, on the north-east point of Puffin Island.
1842 Beaumaris; 18 acres of freehold land called Caeau Mair were purchased by Sir Williams-Bulkeley raising money for the council to mover ahead with plans to build a pier. (see 1843)
1842 Beaumaris; Street markets were difficult to control, so the council used part of the income derived from the sale of Caeau Mair to purchase a permanent site for a market place in the former stable block of Hen Blas, the medieval house of the Bulkeley family. (see 1845)
1842 Beaumaris; During an afternoon of poor visibilty, thirteen unfortunate cockle-pickers were drowned by the onrushing tide at Lavan Sands.
19.02.1843 Penmon; Lifeboat rescued crews of several vessels seeking refuge on Puffin Island. (see 1848)
1843 Beaumaris; Lady Bulkeley laid the foundation stone for the pier. A general holiday was declared for the day and a grand procession marched throught town. Toll collector appointed  at 10/- a week during summer and 5/- during winter. (see 1844)
 
May 1844 Beaumaris; During a severe storm, the supporting pillars on the pier collapsed and most of the wooden structure was washed away. A loan of  £3,000 was sanctioned by the Lords of the Treasury and repair work started. (see 1846)
1845 Beaumaris and district; The Union Workhouse was built in Bangor. (see 1837 & 1850's)
November 1845 Beaumaris; A new market square opened as a municipally owned undertaking, regulated by a superindendent with a big list of by-laws. Butchers were charged between 1/- and 2/- a day, shoemakers and fishmongers 3d and other traders 1d each per square yard of standing. Fraudulent trading was commonplace. Hawkers were a problem, and to protect local shopkeepers and market vendors from unfair competition, the council banned all forms of street trading. (see 1860) 
1846 Beaumaris; Work on the reconstruction of the pier was completed at a cost of £3,343. (see 1865)
1846 Menai Straits; Work commenced on building the the Britannia Tubular Bridge, carrying the London - Holyhead railway line over the Straits. It was designed by Robert Stephenson for the Chester and Holyhead Railway. (see 1850)
1848 Penmon; Lifeboat-house completely rebuilt at the expense of Sir Richard Bulkeley. (see 29.03.1850)
1848 Beaumaris; More houses built in Clay Pits. (see 1858)
1849 Beaumaris; Another cholera outbreak on the Island. Council terrified, improved the drainange system and encouraged property owners to connect their house drains to the mains. No evidence that the disease broke down in the town. (see 1866) 
1849 Menai Straits; The Foel Ferry was discontinued and a new service with a steam ferryboat, The Menai, commenced, to run bewtween Caernarfon and Y Foesl. Ferry rights were purchased from the crown by Caernarfon Corporation. (see 1909)
1850'S Beaumaris; 80 of the town's paupers were regularly in receipt of outdoor relief under the Poor Law Act, with sums ranging from 1'6 to 4/- a week. (see 1890s)
1850's Beaumaris; Baron Hill, reputedly the first house in Anglesey to be lit by gas. (see 1852) 
1850's Parys Mountain; Mines were gradually being abandoned and were no longer significant.
EXA dome at Parys Mountain.
1850's Beaumaris; In mid Victorian times, the Liverpool Arms was a posting house of some importance. Public coaches left there daily for Bangor as well as to and from Holyhead and Amlwch, to coincide with the arrival and departure of pleasure steamers. (see April 1853)
Liverpool Arms Hotel, Beaumaris, Anglesey, North Wales
1850's Beaumaris; The town had a serious water problem. Sources were inadequate and often insanitary.  Complaints made by residents and visitors resulted in the water supply being turned off during certain hours of the day in summer. (see 1852)
29.03.1850 Penmon; Lifeboatmen spent many hours rescuing at least 36 vessels driven ashore near Penmon after a very severe srotrm. (see June 1857) 
1850 Menai Straits; Work completed on the Britannia tubular bridge, and was opened to traffic. Its total length, incuding approaches, which flanked the massive four stone lions, measured about one third of a mile. 
1851 Beaumaris; The town's population was 2,465. (see 1901)
1852 Beaumaris; The loan reuest for water pipes (see 1858), also includeed a request for a gas works to assist with street lighting. (see 1856)
April 1853 Llangoed; Original post office set up at China House. Open from 8am to 8pm on weekdays and 8.30 to 10am on Sundays, Bank holidays and Christmas Day. Two mail deliveries daily, at 7.15am and 6.15pm. (see 1897)
1853 Beaumaris; Grammar School extended to include a house for the headmaster. (see 1895)
1856 Beaumaris; The town, along with Holyead, was the first to have a gas works, following a Treasury loan. Pipes laid down through town, 24 lamps erected at a cost of £63 (£60 by public donations) Some lamps were still lit all night in winter and others until midnight. On moonlit nights, none were lit at all. In summer, the lamps were removed. Annual cost of street lighting estimated at £50. (see 1900)
1856 Beaumaris; The first commercial bank, The National Provincial Bank, was opened in the town at Raglan Street. This was a sub-branch of Bangor, open for business on Saturdays only. (see 1862)
June 1857 Penmon; R.N.L.I., which had taken over the Penmon Lifeboat station, sent a new boat there, costing £126. (see 15.03.1859) 
1858 Beaumaris; Even numbered houses on New Street were built by the Town Council. Odd nUmbered houses on the opposite side of the road were owned by the Baron Hill estate. (see 1872)
1858 Beaumaris; Water connected to a shared public tap in New Street. (see 1879)
1858 Beaumaris; County Constabulary established, providing the town with two qualified constables. (see 1873)
15.03.1859 Penmon; New lifeboat went to the aid of the schooner 'Native Lass' of Liverpool. (see 27.02.1860)
1860 Beaumaris; The town had almost 80 shops, including 24 grocers, and dealers in sundries, 8 butchers, 8 bakers, 5 drapers, 5 chemists and druggists, 3 ironmongers, 2 booksellers, 2 confectioners and 2 hairdressers. There were also a number of craftsmen without shop premises, doing spare-time selling from a back room, such as shoemakers, saddlers, tailors, dressmakers, milliners and hatters. (see 1861)
27.02.1860 Penmon; Lifeboat stood by the flat 'Dart' of Bangor, which was in danger in a north  westerly gale. (see 25.01.1861)
1860 Beaumaris; Churchyard at the centre of the town was overcrowded, and closely surrounded by densely populated houses. (see 1861)
25.01.1861 Penmon; Lifeboat quickly launched to rescue two men. (see 10.021861)
10.02.1861 Penmon; As dawn broke on a very stormy morning, lifeboatmen saw the masts of the vessel 'Maid'of Fleetwood, sticking  out of the turbulent waters on the Dutchman's Bank. Four men were saved, clinging to the rigging. (see 14.08.1861)
1861 Beaumaris; An appeal to Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley resulted in the gift of a two acre site to the town to use as a non-denominational cemetery. The churchyard was closed from 1 July except for the burial of near relations of those already buried there. (see 1870)
1861 Beaumaris; Many men depended on the sea for work. The census showed over 40 mariners or their wives at home on census night. (see 24.07.1862)
14.08.1861 Penmon; Lifeboat stood by the smack 'Pink' of Chester, which was anchored in a dangerous position near Puffin Island. (see 24.07.1862)
1862 Beaumaris; Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley (junior) was born, died 1942.
24.07.1862 Penmon; Lifeboat launched in a rough gale to answer distress signals from the smack 'Frodsham' of Liverpool. They helped take the vessel to Llandudno. (see 11.12.1864)
1862 Beaumaris; National Provincial Bank given full branch status and moved to 14 Church Street. (see c 1895)
1863 Beaumaris; Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley established the town's fire brigade. It was the first in Anglesey. The engine was horse drawn and the volunteer firemen had the right to commandeer the nearest horses on call out. The volunteers were paid 1/- for attending the monthly fire drill and loss of earnings when on fire duty. (see 1865)
11.12.1864 Penmon; Three men saved from the smack 'Pearl' and two from the 'Speedwell' after the lifeboatmen had sughted distress signals. (see 23.03.1868)
1865 Beaumaris; The owners of property within the Borough which caught fire, were charged £1 for a call out to assist with street lighting. (see 1856)
1865 Beaumaris; The average annual income over the last 19 years from the pier was £238. (see GF 1865)
Good Friday 1865 Beaumaris; The pier was badly damaged when the 'Great Emperor', an iron paddle steamer of 252 gross tons, collided with it. Repairs estimated at £850. Legal wranglings which took some time, exposed the pier to further storm damage. (see 1871)
1866 Beaumaris; Another cholera outbreak on the island. Panic in the town when 27 died in Holyhead, but no reports in the town, (see 1882)
13.03.1868 Penmon; The brig 'Jabez' was stranded on Dutchman's Bank in heavy seas. After a tremendous struggle, the lifeboat got alongside, rescuing five of the crew. The Master refused to leave and was later drowned when he tried to get ashore in his own dinghy. The lifeboat capsized after being hit by an enormous wave, but quickly righted itself. This proved to be its last service. (see 14.04.1868) 
14.04.1868 Penmon; A ceremony launched the new lifeboat, 'Christopher Brown' named after a man who played a great part in raising the £251 needed for it. (see 13.10.1870)
1869 Beaumaris; Hen Blas, the former home of the Bulkeleys, was demolished.
1870 Beaumaris; Presbytarian Church built on the corner of Margaret Street and Church Street, on the site of Hen Blas, former residency of the Bulkeley family, at a cost of £1.017. (see 1874)
13.10.1870 Penmon; Lifeboat went to the aid of a schooner, 'Severn Sisters' of Lancaster, saving eight lives (see 10.08.1872)
1870's Beaumaris; The Staples family moved their business from Wexham Street to 31 Castle Street. (see 1881)
1871 Beaumaris; Pier restored following damage at a cost of £2,250. Repairs included  turnstiles and a new toll house with a fireplace. (see 1880)
1872 Beaumaris; The keeping of pigs in small back yards was banned. (see 1879)
10.08.1872 Penmon; Lifeboat towed 'Fairey Queen' of Llandudno to safety, having been seen drifting out to sea about eight miles from Penmon. (see 03.10.1875)
03.10.1872 Penmon; Queen of the Fleet was landed on Puffin Island by  the lifeboat when it ran aground on heavy seas. (see 31.12.1875)
1873 Beaumaris; Prosecutions had declined rapidly. 59 males and 15 females had been committed to gaol in the last 12 months. An average of only 8 inmates a day. (see 1878)
1874 Beaumaris; Capel Seion Congregationalist was the first chapel to be built in the town, after strong opposition from the Bulkeleys. (see 1878)
1875 Beaumaris; Sir Richard Bulkeley Williams Bart died. A memorial to him was built  on the crest of a hill behind the town. A bronze plate in the pedestal describes memorial....'Erected in honour of Sir Richard Bulkeley Willaims Bart, of Baron Hill by his tenants, neighbours and friends who cherish his memory. As a pioneer of agriculture, he was energetic and munificent. He was always ready to promote the welfare and the enjoyment of all around him, and so fulfilled the various duties of his station as to win the affection and resppect of his countrymen'.
31.12.1875 Penmon; The smack 'Crane' was anchored in a dangerous position in a full south westerly gale. In heavy seas, some of the lifeboatmen went on board, helped to wiegh the anchor and took her to safer anchorage. (see 25.01.1878)
25.01.1878 Penmon; A disabled steamer, 'Pioneer' of Dublin broke away from tugs steering her and was driven ashore on Puffin Island. Mr W.M. Preston ran four miles into the full fury of the gale to get the lifeboat ready because some of the regular lifeboatmen were away at the time. The staem tug 'Royal Saxon' took the lifeboat in to the storm and it was eventually able to assist ten members of the crew. Mr Preston received the 'Thanks of Vellum' by the R.N.L.I.. This was the last service by the lifeboat 'Christopher Brown'. (see March 1880) 
1878

Llangoed; Calvinistic Chapel was extended. (see1884)

1878 Beaumaris; The gaol was transferred to the Home Office and was converted into a Police Station and lock-up for the town. (see 1905)

1879 Beaumaris; Water pipes laid to each house in New Street. Piped water had only been supplied to the higher class houses in Castle Street, Church Street and the sea front.
1879 Beaumaris; The Inspector of Nuicances found miserable living conditions in a number of working class houses. Some properties were completely unfit for human habitation. There were overflowing privies, foul smelling ash pits, drains choked with sewerage, and pigs kept in small backyards despite having been banned seven years earlier. (see 1911)
1880 Beaumaris; Income from the turnpike tolls (Lord Bulkeley's Road) was £249 - £193 in 1828. (see 1897)
March 1880 Penmon; Replacement lifeboat, also named 'Christopher Brown' was built for £363. A new boathouse and slipway were built for her at a cost of £700. (see 23.08.1882)
1880 Beaumaris; A ladies' waiting room was added to the pier. (see 1896)
1881 Beaumaris; Temperance Hotel opened by Lady Bulkeley. Proprietor was Owen Rowlands. The hotel encouraged the virtues of teetotalism. (see 1895)
1882 Beaumaris; Typhoid outbreak. Two residents in the almshouses died. (see 1889)
23.08.1882 Penmon; The 'Hope' of St Ives parted her anchor cable and went aground on the Dutchman's Bank. Five lifeboatmen help take her to an anchorage in Friar's Road. (see 07.12.1884)
1884 Beaumaris; Capel Drindod (Calvinistic Methodist) was built in Chapel Street. (see 1908)
07.12.1884 Penmon; Two men rescued by the lifeboat from the Barmouth vessel 'June', which was anchored in a dangerous position in a gale. (see 13.10.1885) 
13.10.1885 Penmon; Lifeboat rescued three men from the ketch 'Hope' of St Ives when it ran aground on Puffin Island in heavy seas. (see 18.12.1886)
18.12.1886 Penmon; Schooner 'Jubilee' of Preston ran onto the Causeway Rocks near Puffin Island - lifeboat rescued three men. (see 23.12.1886)
23.12.1886 Penmon; 'The Albion' of Hull was stranded at Irishman's Spit in a gale. Lifeboat rescued three men (see Summer 1889)
1889 Beaumaris; A girl of tender years in Castle Row contacted typhoid, but survived. A sample of the house water was sent for analysis, but the doctor's opinion was that the 'poison' came from Hugh Thomas' slaughterhouse. The Council kept the matter quiet. (see 1890s).
Summer 1889 Penmon; Lifeboat Christopher Brown was away for alterations and improvements. Reserve lifeboat took its place. 
August 1889 Penmon; Schooner 'Thomas' of Liverpool ran aground on Dutchman's Bank. Reserve lifeboat refloated the vessel and escorted it, leaking badly to Beaumaris. (see 07.11.1890) 
1889 Beaumaris; The town lost its status as the County Town and administrative capital of Anglesey, when the newly created County Council decided at its first meeting to hold all future meetings in Llangefni, where, later, the County Offices were built.
07.11.1890 Penmon; 'Undaunted' of Plymouth hoisted a distress signal in a fierce gale. Despite enormous seas, the lifeboat rescued six from the vessel. Lifeboat was capsized by a tremendous wave. Coxswain Robert Roberts was awarded a Silver Medal for his outstanding skill and courage during this event. Mr P.W. Preston was also given a Silver Medal. (see 09.12.1892)
1890's Beaumaris; 150 deserving poor in the town were given bread, a piece of beef and a hundredweight of coal each Christmas by benevolent towmsfolk. (see early 1900's)
1891 Beaumaris; The Liverpool and North Wales Steamship Company was established, bringing thousands of holidaymakers and day trippers to Beaumaris from early May to the end of September. The fleet of paddle steamers consited of 'La Marguerite', 'St Elvies', 'Snowdon' and 'St Tudno'. (see 1894)
Oct 1891 Beaumaris; RNLI provided the town with a lifeboat - 'Tom and Jerry'. (see 1896)
09.12.1892 Penmon; Dublin schooner 'James and Mary' struck Beacon Rock. Lifeboat encountered enormous seas as she crossed the rocks, with huge waves crashing both vessels. Eventually able to rescue the Master and his wife, three young children and crew of three. Coxswain Roberts and Mr Preston both awarded their second Silver Medal. (see 22.12.1892)
22.12.1892 Penmon; Schooner 'Raven' dragged her anchor in heavy seas and was taken to safety by the lifeboat, to the Cross Roads. (see 03.07.1985)
1894 Menai Straits; 'La Marguerite', the largest excursion steamer of her time was built. Sailed bewtween Liverpool and Menai Bridge from 1904 to 1925. (see 25.08.1904)
c 1895 Beaumaris; National Provincial Bank moved to 39 Castle Street.
1895 Beaumaris; Slater's Directory listed 21 grocer shops in the town, which had a population of just over 2,000. (see 1897)
1895 Beaumaris; Grammar School came under the control of the County Council and admitted girls for the first time. (see 1907)
03.07.1895 Penmon; 'Broughty Castle' became stranded on the Causeway Rocks. In its final service, the lifeboat succeeded in refloating the vessel. (see Jan 1896)
Jan 1896 Penmon; The new lifeboat, again named Cgristopher Brown, was launched at a cost of £514. Launching conditions were improved with a new slipway costing £735. (see 11.10.1896) 
1896 Beaumaris; Further improvements to the Pier - a pavilion built for concerts, a 2ft 6 ins narrow gauge tramway installed on its west side to help porters in carrying heavy luggage ashore from the pleasure steamers. (see 1906)
11.10.1896

Penmon; 'Minde of Farsund' ran aground on the Dutchman Bank. The lifeboatmen rescued 11 men. (see 23.04.1899)

1896 Beaumaris; Lifeboat Tom and Jerry withdrawn service - only 6 launches took place. (see 1914)
1897             Beaumaris; Horse drawn omnibuses plied between the town and Bangor four times a day during summer and twice a day in winter, to connect with the London trains (see 14.03.1903)
1897 Beaumaris; John Owen Jones appointed Postmaster on an annual salary of £84. (see 1908)
1897 Beaumaris; John Wickens took photographs in the locality for the Light Railway Commissioners to consider a proposal for the construction of an electric railway from Llanfairpwll to Beaumaris. The project was rejected because of the narrowness of the road. (see 1906) 
23.04.1899 Penmon; 'Rowena' of Glasgow ran aground on Causeway Docks, near Puffin Island. Lifeboat towed her to Beaumaris and then returned to Puffin Island to pick up the Captain and three crew, who had landed there. (see 16.09.1908)
Early 1900s Beaumaris;  The town had a cricket team, with the majority of the players drawn from the working class. Scores were low in those days, due to the poor state of the wickets, rather than good bowling!
Early 1900s Beaumaris; Those at the top of the labour hierarchy, the skilled artisans, earned between 35/- and 40/- a week, and enjoyed regular employment. They could afford a reasonable standard of living, and to make provisions against unexpected loss of earnings, joined a friendly society - The Druid's Society, St David's Society or the Loyal Bulkeley Lodge of the Oddfellows Friendly Society. In return for a small subscription, members were provided with sickness benefit and a free burial. (see 1901) 
1900s Beaumaris; Edwardian ladies often took a leisurely stroll along the seafront. They would never be seen outdoors without a hat, even in hot weather, because of the widespread belief that the sun was harmful and that tanned skin was a degrading feature in a woman. Some would always a parasol.
1900s

Beaumaris; Cattle and sheep were walked from local farms and from Menai Bridge Smithfield to the town abattoir in Wexham Street, where John Stanley advertised that his animals were 'slaughtered with the RSPCA's humane killer'.
Below; Wexham Street.
XS/1077/7/1/28

1900s Beaumaris; During the Edwardian era, 20% of local men worked on the land, earning an average of 18/- a week for a 55 - 60 hour week. (see 6.8.1901) 
1900 Beaumaris; The original Brass Band folded through lack of recruitmentment. (see 1921)
1900 Beaumaris; Gaslight was now normal in most middle class family homes. Little used by those of lesser means because of the cost of installation. Their Light came from candles and oil lamps even after electricity arrived in the mid-thirties. (see c1903)
6.8.1901 Beaumaris; Edward VII coronation celebrated with sports on the Green, grand procession through town, a tea party for the children and bonfires in the evening. Dinner held for men over 50 and women over 45. Each man was given an ounce of tobacco and each woman two ounces ofg tea at a cost to the council of £63. 
1901    Beaumaris; The Hampton Lewis family of Henllys employed 8 indoor servants and a number of gardeners. (see 1906) 
1901 Beaumaris; Overcrowding was common. In some smaller properties, children slept three or more to a bed. The census enuerator's schedule showed over 240 lodgers in Beaumaris on Census night, over 105 of the borough population. Most of these were militiamen training in the town. (see 1901)  
1901 Beaumaris; The town had 91 recipients of charity, 53 of whom were widows, plus 236 applicants for the children's clothing from charity depots. (see Jan 1906)
c1903 Beaumaris; Castle Street and Church Street were re-surfaced, pavements were built in some narrow streets, gas lamps ereceted in the darker parts of town and a carriageway was opened in front of Victoria Terrace. (see 1935)
Church Street
14.03.1903 Beaumaris; North Wales Chronicle announced that Mr James Burton of Fryars had driven to Holyhead in his new motor car, a 6 horse power Daimler convertible, registered EY2. This was one of the earliest indications that the motor era had reached the area. (see 1903)
1903    Beaumaris, Llangoed; All motor cars had to be registered with the County Council. Only 13 cars were registered in Anglesey this year. five of the earliest belonged to local people; Sir Richard Bulkeley (EY 1), James Burton (EY 2 and EY 3), Samuel Chadwick of Haulfre, Llangoed (EY 4 and EY 5), Thomas Hampton Lewis of Henllys and William Massey of Cornelyn - all men of considerable wealth. Motor cars cost more than the price of a modest house and were expensive to run. (See c 1904)    
c 1904 Beaumaris; A horse-drawn ambulance was acquired and housed in a shed in the market place. (see c 1905)
c 1904 Beaumaris; A Town Improvement Association was formed, petitioning the Borough Council to build shelters on the Green, to improve the water supply and to provide more leisure facilities in the pleasure ground. (see c 1905) 
25.08.1904 Beaumaris; Holidaymaker sends postcard with a message "I went to Llandudno yesterday by the La Marguerite at 4 o'clock and came back at 6 on the Elves". 
c 1905 Beaumaris;  Cyclists and pedestrians complained about the "excessive speeding of of 20 miles an hour" and restrictions were imposed of 10mph on both the Beaumaris Road and the Holyhead Road, 7mph on all other Anglesey roads and 4mph on the Menai Suspension Bridge. (see 1907)
1905    Beaumaris; 16 hackney carriages and drivers were licensed by the Town Council. The cabstand had to be kept clean and drivers were responsible for cleaning up after their horses. Fares were 1/- a mile and 2'6 per hour, with a special rate of 1/- to Garth Ferry. (see 1907) 
1905 Beaumaris; 23 seasonal licences were issued by the council to local boat owners for pleasure trips. (see 1906)
1905 Beaumaris; Police were called to the Archway to arrest a vendor selling newspapers on the Sabbath. (see 1906)
1906 Beaumaris; The Pier Head Vaults, kept by Annie Owen, was one of 16 licensed premesis in the town. (see 1906)
Jan 1906

Beaumaris; A soup kitchen was opened in the Old Chantey House in Castle Street. The poor were fed twice a week during the worst of the winter months. (see 1908)

1906 Beaumaris; Over 50,000 people paid the penny toll to promenade the Pier. (see late 1950's)
1906    Beaumaris; Bennett's Business Directory showed 15 grocers in the town. (see 1914)
c 1906 Beaumaris; Beaumaris and District Nursing Association, a voluntary organisation supported by local patrons, visited those paupers suffering from ill health. The elderly and the infirm caused particular difficulties, but high death rates ensured that few people lived long enough to suffer the crisis of old age. (see 1911)
C 1906 Beaumaris; The Town Gate or Archway, was a focal point for tramps, itinerant musicians and local men to loiter before frequently being removed by the Police for 'obstructing free traffic' to and from castle street.
1907 Beaumaris; A private tennis club was formed and hired the courts for three evenings a week at an annual cost of three guineas.
1907 Beaumaris; A schoolroom was built on a piece of land adjoining the Presbytarian Church at a cost of £600. (see 1917)
1907

Beaumaris; Roads produced dust in summer and mud in winter as they had been made for horse drawn vehicles.The Automobile Club and other road user organisations forced the Council to tar the worst stretches. Beaumaris Road and the entire length of Castle Street were tar-sprayed at a cost of 2d a square yard. (see 1910) 

1907/08 Beaumaris; The town experienced two severe snow storms during the winter.
1907/08 Beaumaris; The town's football club join the North Wales Coast League. (see 1908/09)
16.09.1908 Penmon; Lady Fielding of Amlwch seen off Penmon Quarry making distress signals. Lifeboat saved 6 crew. (see 26.10.1909)
1908 National; There was no official age of retirement, but State Pensions were introduced by David Lloyd George. 5/- a week for a single person. 7/6 for a married couple. Most men continued working for as long as they could. (see 1910)
1908 Beaumaris; New Crown Post Office built by Sir Richard Bulkeley was opened in Church Street and leased to the Post Office for £66 per annum. Two shops demolished to make way for it; George Warmsley. Tobacconist and Hairdresser, and Lewis Owen, Cycle Dealer. The Postmaster's salary was raised  to £117 when the office opened, as he was responsible for an establishment of 2 town postmen, 6 rural letter-carriers, 4 telegram boys, 2 soretiing clerks and 3 female telegraphists. (see 1910)
1908 Beaumaris; Bowling Green laid alongside the tennis courts at a cost of £25.
1908 Llangoed; Calvinistic Chapel fully restored with seating for 450. (see 1908)
1908 Beaumaris; Permanent baths were constructed by the council. Baths were reserved for men from 6am to 9am and ladies from 9am to 10.30am, and mixed bathing for the rest of the day. Carges were 6d, which included hire of costumne and towel. Special terms for schools, swimming clubs and families. (see 1908)
1908 Beaumaris; Sea bathing was permitted, but with strict by-laws governing bather's appearances. "No person, unless effectively screened from view, shall bathe from the sea-shore or from any boat, without wearing suitable drawers or other sufficient covering to prevent indecent exposure of his person".
1908 Beaumaris; A Roman Catholic Church was built in Ratings Row. (see1911)
1908/1909 Beaumaris; Football Club became the North Wales Coast League Division 1 Champions. (see 1909/1910)
1909 Beaumaris; For the seven years up to 1909, the average annual cost of gas street lighting had increased to £113. (see 1935)
16.10.1909 Penmon; William of Liverpool in difficulties in a full gale and violent seas. The ketch was found in Red Wharf Bay. Crew unable to cross over to the lifeboat and sank. Lifeboat made several attempts to save the crew, but to no avail. Coxswain William Pritchard and James Burton received The Silver Medal. (see 1.11.1910)
1909 Menai Strait; A low water jetty was constructed at Y Foel for those using the Menai Steamboat.
Dec 1909 Penmon; Ketch Willie of Liverpool wrecked on the lifeboat slipway at Penmon. William Pritchard awarded a second Silver Medal for wading into the pounding surf to throw a line to the shipwrecked crew, saving all 4 members.
1909/1910 Beaumaris; The Football Club resigned from the North Wales Coast League following a disagreement with the Borough Council over the use of the Green, plus  the condition of the playing surface. They played friendly matches at opponents' grounds. (see 1922/23)
1910 Llangoed; Postmaster Henry Roberts earned an annual salary of £55. This was a welcome sideline to his trade as a family grocer. (see 1913)
1910 Llangoed; Post card written by a holidaymaker stating that the writer was 'having a most delightful holiday, right away from everywhere' and that 'the people are so friendly'. (see 1911) 
1910 Beaumaris; Beaumaris Motor Bus Company began a regular bus service between the town and Bangor, with its new 40 horse-powered omnibus (EY 189), which had replaced horse drawn omnibuses. The firm also ran sightseeing excursions in its newly acquired Thorneycroft charabanc (EY 184). (see 1913)
1.11.1910 Penmon; Lifeboat stood by ketch 'James' which was aground an heavy seas. (see 26.09.1911)
c 1910 National; Unemployment rose and working days lost by strikes. Ireland demanded home rule, Ulster determined to remain united to Britain. Country in turmoil and the growing tension brought Ireland to the brink of Civil War. 
1911 Llangoed; Calvinistic Chapel had membership of 500, almost three-quarters of whom were communicants. The Sunday School had 200 children under the age of fifteen, and twenty teachers. As many as twelve services were held each week. (see 1911)
1911 Llangoed; Llangoed was a popular holiday destination, with 35 apartments advertised in a local guide book. No fewer than 6 of these were in Mona Terrace, offering a sitting room and one or two bedrooms on 'moderate' terms.
1911 Beaumaris; As many as 59% of the female working population of the town, were engaged in domestic service, or employed in the town's shops. A live in housemaid earned 5/- a week, rising to 8/- after several years employment. A female shop assistance earned about 15/- a week for excessively long hours. (see 1911)
1911 Beaumaris; Living conditions scarcely improved since 1879, when a borough surveyor made a detailed inspection of the town's housing stock. Houses in the working class areas revealed the deep inequalities within the Edwardian society. Of the 254 houses visited in Chapel St, New St, Wexham St and the Clay Pots area, 37 were in a state of dilapidation, both inside and out, with some described as being unfit to live in. (see 1914)
1911 National; Lloyd George's National Insurance Act provided unemployment benefit of 7/- a week, sick pay of10/- a week and free medical attention for themselves but not for their dependants. This helped those in the lower reaches of the working class, who could not afford to be members of the friendly societies. (see 1911)
1911 Beaumaris; A Royal Commission Report concluded that 48% of the town population over the age of 5 were chapel goers, and almost 66% of them were Calvinistic Methodists, with another 16% attending St Mary's Church. Capel Drindod (340) and Capel Seion (184) each held between 8 and 9 services every week. For many a poor family, even a penny was too much to put in the collection box. 55% of Beaumaris children under 15 were Sunday School members (31% chapel and 24 % church). (see 1929)
26.09.1911 Penmon; The final effective service of the Penmon lifeboat station took place, when the Christopher Brown was launched to aid the fishing boat Margaret and Alice. Coxswain Pritchard and Mrs Burton rescued the four men in deteriorating weather. (see March 1915)
1911 Beaumaris; Less than 2% of the town's population were over 75 years of age. (see 1921)
1911 Beaumaris; Mortality rates had improved after the turn of the century, but 10% of children still failed to live beyond their first birthday. Many of those who survived their first birthday, subsequently died from whooping cough, measles, diptheria and scarlet fever. (see 1917)
c 1912 Llanfaes; Kingsbridge Camp was used for training reservists as army engineers, all housed under canvas. (see Aug 1914)
XS/1077/7/1/27
1912 Beaumaris; William-Bulkeley Hotel was lit by acetylene gas, boasting a billiard room, croquet lawn and handsome suites furnished in a costly manner. Charge was 5 guineas a week.(see 1920)
1913 Beaumaris; Charges for attending property fires were increased to 2 guineas, inside the town boundary and five guineas, outside. (see c 1939)
1913 Beaumaris; The county surveyor admitted that many Anglesey roads 'were still totally unsuitable for motor traction'. (see 1914)
1913 Beaumaris; John Owen Jones was the town's Postmaster. (see 1920)
August 1914 Beaumaris; In a wave of patriotic fervour, scores of young Beaumaris men flocked to the town recruiting centre to take the King's shilling with no idea of the horrors awaiting them in the trenches. (see 1914)
1914 Beaumaris; Hundreds of troops arrived in the town for training. Horses were commandeered for their use. (see 1914)
1914 Llanfaes; Outbreak of First World War, Kingsbridge Camp enlarged, permanent huts erected to accommodate 800 personnel instructed by the Royal Anglesey Engineers to build pontoon bridges, railways, stockades & wire entanglements & then drafted to France.(see 1914)
1914 Beaumaris; Those left at home following the outbreak of the First World War, endured shortages and rationing, dug their allotments in the castle meadow and lived in fear of the dreaded telegram. (see 1914)
1914 Beaumaris; WR Hughes's shop at Castle Street, described as 'bookseller and stationer, dealer in fancy goods, photographer and enlarger' published postcards. It helped preserve a visual record of the town in Edwardian days. (see 1914)
1914 Beaumaris; Most of the town's houses were connected to the water supply. (see 1915)
1914 Llangoed; Codman's Touring Party from Bangor showed the first 'picture show' at the village hall.
1914 Beaumaris; Lifeboat house and deepwater roller-slipway constructed in Fryars Bay, to house the Frederick Kitchin, the town's first motor-lifeboat. Station was opened to replace Penmon station. (see 1915)
1914 Llanfaes; The Anglesey Volunteer Reserves were stationed at Kingsbridge camp, and guarded both the Britannia Bridge and the Menai Suspension Bridge as a precaution against the Irish troubles, which had threatened to flare up into civil war. (see 1920)
1914 Beaumaris; Motor cars were registered to two Beaumaris doctors, two solicitors, two bank managers, a clergyman and at least five shopkeepers in the town. (see 1922)
1914 Beaumaris; Two Belgians employed at Baron Hill were arrested as spies. (see c 1914)
1914 Penmon; An enemy U-boat was sighted off the shore. (see 1920)
1914 Beaumaris; Codman's Touring Party from Bangor showed the first 'picture show' at the town hall.
March 1915 Penmon; Penmon Lifeboat Station, which was established in 1832, was closed. The Penmon lifeboats had launched 65 times on service and had saved at least 143 lives.
1915 Beaumaris; Holiday maker wrote on the back of a postcard depicting Wexham Street 'Walked along this old-fashioned street. The houses are very old'. (see 1920)
1917 Beaumaris; School Dental Officer reported who examined a local primary school, reported that 83% of them required extractions or fillings. Most children never cleaned their teeth except occasionally to pick them with a dead match. (see 1953)
1920

Llanfaes; Kingsbridge Camp was closed.

1920

Beaumaris; Houses owned by the Baron Hill estate on New Street were offered up for sale. Nos 1 - 11, each having three bedrooms, fetched £120 apiece. Some cottages on Chapel Street were sold for as little as £50. (see 1920) 

1920 Beaumaris; Three low roofed cottages on Chapel Street were demolished to make way for a garage for the Beaumaris and District Motor Company. (see 1920)
1920 Beaumaris; The Williams-Bulkeley Hotel was sold for £5,000.
1920 Beaumaris; Two bedroomed houses on Wexham Street were sold for £120 each, while a one bedroomed house was sold for £80. (see 1938)
1920 Beaumaris; LNWR opened a Parcel and Enquiry office in Church Street. (see 1931)
1920 Anglesey; Car registrations had increased 5 fold . (see 1922)
1921 Beaumaris; Population in census was 1839.
1921 Beaumaris; A new all-brass band was formed with 24 local men using borrowed instruments until sufficient income was raised to purchase a new set. (see 1937)
1921 Bangor; Bangor Blue Motors established, which operated a half-hour passenger service between Bangor and Beaumaris. (see 1922)
1921 Beaumaris; Census of cars travelling along the Menai Bridge to Beaumaris road during a seven day consecutive period in week commencing the 16th August averaged 620 per day. (see 1929)
1922/23 Beaumaris; St Mary's FC become Champions of the Anglesey League
1925 Beaumaris; Castle handed over by the Bulkeley family to the Ministry of Works for its preservation as an ancient monument. Work removing ivy from walls and debris from moat commenced. (see 1935)
1925 Beaumaris; La Marguerite's last season of daily sailings between Liverpool and Menai Bridge. (see 1926)
1926    Beaumaris; Steam ferry boat Cynfal used as a tender to transfer passengers to and from the St Tudno (III) which had ceased calling at Beaumaris because of the difficulty of manoeuvring a screw ship alongside the pier. Experiment was not popular and was discontinued after a few weeks.
1929 National; William Davies was beatified by the Catholic Church (see 1593).
1929 Anglesey; The Royal Commission of Ancient Monuments recorded 37 windmills on the island.
XS/1077/7/1/76
1929 Beaumaris; Census of cars travelling along the Menai Bridge to Beaumaris road during a seven day consecutive period in August was an average of 834 per day. (see early 1930's)
Early 1930's; Llangoed; The age of motoring had transformed Llangoed's country roads. Llangoed was one of the few Anglesey villages to have a garage at this time. (see 1930s)
1930s Beaumaris; Llangoed; Crosville took over both the Beaumaris Motor Bus Company and Bangor Blue Motors, together with another 61 local independent bus operators in North Wales, including Llangoed Red Motors, giving it a monopoly of local passenger transport. (see Sept 1939)
1931 Penmon; A rural sub-post office was set up. (see 1973)
1935 Beaumaris; Street gas lamps replaced by electrical ones. (see 1949)
1935 Beaumaris; Clearance of ivy and castle moat complete.
1935 Beaumaris; The Archway at Pier Head Vaults was closed to all vehicles.
1937 Beaumaris; The all brass band ceased playing when many of its members were forced to leave the district in search of employment. (see c 1945)
1938 Beaumaris; New Street had been cleared to make way for new housing. Eight acres of land embracing the Baron Hill kitchen garden and part of Cae Bricks were purchased for £1,361 and 30 houses were built for let to working class families. (see 1948)
1938-1941 Menai Bridge; The suspension bridge was strengthened to take modern traffic by the replacement of its cables, when the former double carriageway was converted to a single one.
c 1939 Beaumaris; During World War 2, the fire brigade became the responsibility of the National Fire Service, staffed by full-time firemen assisted by part-time auxiliaries. (see 1947)
Sept 1939

Beaumaris; 238 evacuees aged between 8 and 16 from Liverpool arrive.

Sept 1939 Beaumaris; Due to the inevitable progress of motor transport, children could no longer play safely in the streets of Beaumaris.
1941 Beaumaris and District; War weapons week raised £70,000 in Beaumaris, Llangoed, Llanddona and Penmon.
1942 Anglesey; A famous collection of iron age artefacts found at Llyn Cerrig Fach near Valley.
1942 Beaumaris; Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley died (born 1862)
1943 Beaumaris and district; Wings for Victory week raised £30,701 in Beaumaris, Llangoed, Llanddona and Penmon.
1944 Beaumaris and district; Salute the Soldier week raised £58,084 in Beaumaris, Llangoed, Llanddona and Penmon.
1945 Beaumaris and district; Thanksgiving week raised £38,900 in Beaumaris, Llangoed, Llanddona and Penmon.
c 1945 Beaumaris; The all brass band was reformed after the second world war. (see 1983)
c 1945 Beaumaris; After the Second World War, Baron Hill was left to deteriorate - now derelict.
1946 Beaumaris; Shipyard side of Saunders-Row transferred here. Aluminium alloys fabricated to make bus bodies on Leyland chasis. 300 double deckers produced for London, 620 single deckers for Cuba and large numbers for other countries.
1947 Beaumaris; Town planning and Fire Service were transferred to the Anglesey County Council. Generation and distribution of electricity was vested in MANWEB.
1948 Beaumaris; Saunders-Row employed 975 people, including 47 apprentices and 142 ex-servicemen. Over 400 lived in the Beaumaris area.
1948 Beaumaris; Council built 70 houses at Cae Bricks and 30 prefabricated homes at Llanfaes, pre-fabs costing £450. (see 1950's)
1949 Beaumaris; Gas was nationalised and became the responsibility of the Wales Gas Board.
1950s Beaumaris; Further 50 houses built at Maes Hyfryd.
1953 Beaumaris; Grammar School became a Comprehensive School. (see 1962)
Late 1950s Beaumaris; Channel end jetty of pier demolished as it was unsafe.
August 1957 Beaumaris; Coinciding with a high tide, almost four inches of rain had fallen in less than three hours the previous day, causing water to cascade down Red Hill and the castle moat to overflow. Flooding always a problem in the town during periods of exceptional rain fall - inadequate outflow system.
August 1957 Llangoed and Penmon; Road from Beaumaris impassable and a landslide blocked the road at Glyn Garth.
1962 Beaumaris; Comprehensive School moved to Menai Bridge. School buildings were demolished to make way for a new branch library.
1966 Beaumaris; Blue Peter Lifeboat appeal raises money for Beaumaris inshore high-speed lifeboat (see 1977)
1973 Llangoed; Post Office moved to Morley House.
1977 Beaumaris; Lifeboat Greater London II started service. (see 13.12.1981)
13.12.1981 Beaumaris; Lifeboat Greater London II launched in a force 10 gale and driving snow to rescue the crew of a fishing boat in difficulties off Puffin Island. Coxswain David Gallichan awarded a Bronze Medal by the RNLI. (see 1989)
1983 Beaumaris; The all brass band's numbers had dwindled to a mere handful. Appeal set up to primary school children to learn to play instruments was an immediate success. (see 2005)
1986 Beaumaris; The Beaumaris Arts Festival began. It runs for 9 days from the Spring Bank holiday.
1989 Beaumaris; Lifeboat Greater London II ended its service, having been launched 38 times and saving 21 lives. (see 1991)
1991 Beaumaris; Fryar's Bay offshore lifeboat station closed after 235 launchings and 195 lives saved.
2005 Beaumaris; The town has 4 brass bands with a total membership of 150.